First Time Rod Repair - Keeping the action....

trotter2

That's a really interesting video. I've never used epoxy that sets that slowly. The method he uses solved the problem of trying to wrap pre wet-out cloth around stuff.

With regards to repairing fully snapped tubes of a decent diameter, I know from RC experience that it's a lot stronger if you do a repairs inside and out. What I tend to do is treat a thicker part of what would be the pole with mould release wax and lay some wraps of carbon cloth around it. Then if you cut a slit in this you can take it off. As it was from the larger diameter you can can fold it to the inside of the break because of the slit and glue in place then do a repair on the the outside as per that video. Then you've got strengthening inside and out. Although that looked like pretty beefy cloth so I guess it's would be plenty strong enough for the application of a pole repair.
Just one random video I picked from YouTube, there is quite few others all show a very similar technique. It makes a very strong repair probably stronger than the surrounding areas. Most pro repair shop use this technique or one very similar.

satinet

I felt a spigot was the way to go due to the low diameter and required bendyness.

R0B

I think you did the right thing, using what you had for it though. A repair kit from somewhere like Easy Composites is £30 and you can buy a new Sigma wand for £35 :LOL:

trotter2

That's the crunch if you have a few rods it works out more cost effective obviously, there is enough material in the kits to repair multiple rods. My local tackle shop does pole repair work costs about 30 for a pole carbon wrap. About the price of a kit.
Not cheap depends on the value of the rod, pole.

satinet

That's the crunch if you have a few rods it works out more cost effective obviously, there is enough material in the kits to repair multiple rods. My local tackle shop does pole repair work costs about 30 for a pole carbon wrap. About the price of a kit.
Not cheap depends on the value of the rod, pole.
It's not a bad price. It's not always easy to get good glue in small quantities or Carbon cloth which tends to be sold in metre lengths. And you would need to know what you're buying in terms of cloth types and weights etc.

The West epoxy I used is 35 quid. Expensive for one repair but I've been using it for years so cheap per use.

trotter2

It's not a bad price. It's not always easy to get good glue in small quantities or Carbon cloth which tends to be sold in metre lengths. And you would need to know what you're buying in terms of cloth types and weights etc.

The West epoxy I used is 35 quid. Expensive for one repair but I've been using it for years so cheap per use.
Do you find the epoxy lasts ok ,do you have to store it in the fridge to prolong longevity at all.

satinet

Do you find the epoxy lasts ok ,do you have to store it in the fridge to prolong longevity at all.

As far as I know it's stored at room temperature. I know some people keep CA in fridge (superglue). Epoxy is hygroscopic. I.e takes on water so you need to be careful about keeping it sealed. I've had that resin a few years and not stored it that well. It's okay for doing the odd thing with though still. It's nearly run out now though.

If you need some for a repair or whatever I would look at buying a smaller amount. You end up throwing out more than you ever use due to mixing up more than your use.

If I had a decent pole to repair I think I would just get one of those kits.

Nicky Dodds

As far as I know it's stored at room temperature. I know some people keep CA in fridge (superglue). Epoxy is hygroscopic. I.e takes on water so you need to be careful about keeping it sealed. I've had that resin a few years and not stored it that well. It's okay for doing the odd thing with though still. It's nearly run out now though.

If you need some for a repair or whatever I would look at buying a smaller amount. You end up throwing out more than you ever use due to mixing up more than your use.

If I had a decent pole to repair I think I would just get one of those kits.
I've just had one of those kits they're very good

satinet

I took the rod for its first session today. I didn't catch anything but it stood up to casting fine. I clipped up to 16m and fished a 20g maggot feeder. As I wasn't catching at all I unclipped at end and gave it some pretty hard heaves. Say 35 to 40m. I know it was a fair bit further than 25 coz I had another rod clipped up at 25. The rod had no problem.