First Time fluff chucking

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

I thought it was about time that I put up a full report with pics of my first session at LLyngwyn. Youve heard me go on about the place so much that it would be good to show you what it looks like (so you can see what yer missin)

I woke up at 4.00am (couldnt sleep because of the excitement).
I put the kettle on and went through my kit bag to make sure for the 8th time that everything was in it and that I hadnt forgotten my licence or anything else that I might need.

I met Steve my mate in the car park at 8.00am,You have to drive through a forest to get to the lake and I was lucky enough to see a fox cross over the road in front of me on the way to the pool (a nice sight to start the day off).

I started casting (if you can call it that) in a corner of the pool where Steve told me it was a hot spot) If you cant catch there then your using the wrong fly he said. A youngster had come with Steve, a neighbour of his who was interested in taking up the sport, so eventhough it was Steve who said Hed show me how to go on he just left me to get on with it. Steve and the youngster went to the opposite corner and fished a booby , they missed two takes this way and when they came and fished nearer to me again Steve had taken over the rod, He knows the pool and its occupants really well so I took it all in when he mentioned that the Martins were flying above the water but not taking flies, I think the trout are chasing buzzers he said No sooner than tying on a buzzer did he have his first take, a small Brownie which went back. Ten minutes went by and he had his second Brownie which also went back. He kept the buzzer on but also tied on a green nymph which brought him a nice rainbow for his tea. He said goodbye to a still fishless me at 1.30pm as he had to take the youngster home. He asked me what time I was going and I replied when Ive caught a trout. Ill see you at Christmas he joked and headed off for the car park to fill in his returns.

Determined not to be put off by his humour, I altered my casting style and put on a green nymph. On the second retrieve I thought I felt a pull so I speeded up the retrieve and hooked a Rainbow which jumped several times for all it was worth. I weighed him at 2lb 5oz and put him in my bag for tea. I saw a rainbow Grubbing about to my right not even ten yards away, so I tried to cast to him but because Id changed direction of my cast I got tangled around the rod tip (Less haste more speed, I thought to myself with a chuckle). That fished must have got spooked by the commotion as I untangled the line so I casted across the wind to my left. Soon I hooked another rainbow and weighed it at 2lb 1oz.

That was enough for the day I thought and went home a happy chappy. I cant wait till October when the winter season starts, then Ill be able to buy a season ticket theres no point buying one with a month to go, so Im fly tying for a month now.

All in all it was a great day especially when two of the pools comedians started taking the mickey out of me calling me LUCKY because Id caught on my first time out!
DSC00077.jpg

DSC00079.jpg
DSC00078.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

Last edited:

Bricktop

Snap
Originally posted by maximus

a booby

hehehehehehehehehehehehe [:D] You said booby [8D][:I][:eek:)][:D][;)]

great report matt and congrats on christening the gear [:)] First of many [8D]

maximus

hehehehehehehehehehehehe You said booby

WHOOPS, sorry Mods, shall I edit.lol

Thanks Matt, any luck yourself lately?

Last edited:

Bricktop

Snap
I lost my first salmon last Thursday. It shed the hook after a minute or two. It was a very good fish too. Had some good sessions on the dry fly for bleak, roach, dace and chub. Thats about it I think? I'm night fishing for seatrout tonight again. And probably tomorrow night, and saturday, and sunday, and.......... [:D]

maximus

Hahahaha,
I know what you mean Matt...once you are hooked you are HOOKED

The Best of luck mate.

crusty

Nice one Matt, good fishing thumbsup.gif

You can't do much better than catch on your first trip out, it proves you're doing it right [:)]

crusty

Bricktop

Snap
Originally posted by maximus

I know what you mean Matt...once you are hooked you are HOOKED

Not anymore. I blanked [V]. Selling all my gear tomorrow [:D][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.