First time fishing the Trent at Rolleston

Small roach catcher

Hi, this is my first post but I have been lurking for a while and learning plenty.

I recently returned to fishing after an absence of nearly 30 years as my children reached an age where I thought they might enjoy it and I still had all my gear.

This went quite well, my young son enjoys it but I have totally spoilt him by only ever taking him to the local commercial lake which is absolutely full of hungry fish. My first fish was a small gudgeon and I blanked 3 times before catching that on the 4th - he caught his first carp on his 4th visit and a 12lb common by his 10th.

I feel he has missed out on how hard it can be sometimes so I am planning a visit to the Trent at Rolleston on a day ticket so we can have a nice blank together.

I have had a look and peg 14 to peg 10 look not too far to walk from the car, we would be on the outside of a slow bend of the river. I am the type who always casts to the opposite bank or right in the middle but I am slowly learning this may not be the optimum strategy.

So, to my question, if we were ledgering luncheon meat / sweet corn would we be aiming for the inside of the bend, middle or outside of the bend to give us the best chance of catching fish? I don't really care what we catch and they don't need to very big, would be nice to catch something and it looks a lovely place to be for a few hours. I will also take some maggots to catch my traditional infrequent small roach that have been my speciality since I was a boy.

Thanks in advance.

David

gixer 13

Site Supporter
If you are talking of the newark federation water at rolleston it's members only so no day tickets. It's shallow on the inside and a nice sandy bottom fishing a waggler and maggot 1/3 over will produce roach, dace, chub and perch. Feeder inthe middle will find the skimmers, bream and the odd barbell.

Small roach catcher

I am looking at the Nottingham Piscatorial side just after Fiskerton, I went to look at the Fiskerton day ticket stretch just down from the members section but I ended up in Rolleston after all the gates looked locked.

The pegs I saw were near the car park just after the gate on Swillow Lane.

Attachments

• NPS map.jpg
    NPS map.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 15

gixer 13

Site Supporter
Don't know that stretch but I would Imain it would be the sa e as the newark water down stream

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Hoveringham stretch is day tickets and nice and easy for beginners. Dace, Chublets, Roach, Bream, Perch, Barbel.

Park here ///armrests.closer.copes and walk through the gate to the river.

Chuck a feeder out into the main flow, big chuck not needed, can catch well on maggot / caster / corn / worm etc.

Small roach catcher

To conclude this thread, as I have just noticed I posted it in the wrong section of the forum, we went to Rolleston on Saturday and had a lovely morning by the Trent. The track to get there (Long Lane) is not something you would want to take a car down every day, it's a very bumpy single track dirt road and we met the local hunt coming the other way with 40 dogs, 20 horses & 5 cars which was fun. Once we got to the swim my Son couldn't get over how peaceful and calm it all was, for the first 3 hours he didn't care we hadn't caught anything, he was happy trying to see how far he could cast, feeding the fry in front of us and watching the occasional boat go by.

We completely blanked on two rods with luncheon meat - not even a bite, I set up a float rod and he caught a few perch a couple of rod lengths out and a couple of things that might have been small chublets.

River fishing is clearly much harder than our local commercial so we will be trying some better methods when we go next time, there is a lot of water for our single baits to be found so we need to up our game in the swim feeding department. While the fishing was a bit disappointing early on, he really enjoyed it and was asking if we could come back the following day before we had caught a single fish which makes it a complete success for me.

We will definitely try Hoveringham at some point and probably somewhere between the two as well, first a visit to the tackle shop to stock up on some swim feeding devices.

David