first time club match anglers

Status
Not open for further replies.

n/a4

deleted
After a break of twenty or so years from club match fishing I recently decide to re-enter the club scene by joining the match section of the small club I belong to.
However at the first time of entering I felt I was made as welcome as a fart in a space suit. what I would like to know is:- do all clubs treat newcomers to their matches like this as it is not the only time this has happened to me, DESPITE (as some of you will no doubt say talk to them first) trying to be friendly and talking to them. So come on matchmen why are you so closed ranked

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi thepilgrim and welcome on board icon_smile_big.gif

I haven't had this experience with my club but have been at the receiving end several times in the past when entering a match as a visitor or when fishing the opens.
I suppose it is the fear of the unknown for them. A lot of clubmen have known each other for some time and when a fresh face appears they are treat with some suspicion.
Time will tell, fish a few with them but what ever you do don't win, at least not for the time being, as this will certainly put the nail in your coffin icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

dirk

Site Supporter
Hi pilgrim, I have to disagree with Dave, I've found that winning, and taking the mickie out of anybody you sit next to in the match, or even at the draw, gets you noticed, and you definitely won't get ignored. After a few matches, they just wish you had never joined.
Is that not right Malc?
No really, it's just that people only see their friends on Sundays, and they tend to catch up on all the gossip, but you will find in time they will start talking to you, and you will be part of the click.
Just remember when the new boy joins.

Edited by - dirk on 29 June 2002 9:44:20 PM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve,
1st of all,Welcome to Maggotdrowning,Enjoy!

Now to your question,I have belonged to my present club for 6 years.Initially i was invited my a workmate to one of their matches,and won it with double the weight of the next man,despite this i was invited to join,and indeed am now the Match Sec.
It's a small club with only 30 members,and we have deliberatly kept the pools low,the most that the winner will walk away with is about 25,which should cover the days expenses.
With the demise of the "open scene" more and more matchmen are returning to the club match senario,In a lot of club matches nowdays it's not uncommon for 200-300 to be fished for .In my opinion these are turning club matches into quite cut throat affairs where money is the main object,with all the backbiting and secrecy associated with the opens.
For me club fishing is all about having a good day out,catching a few fish and a laugh with friends.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

martin.

Account Locked
hi thepilgrim
one good way ive found is to ask them questions & act as though you need there advice this normally breaks the ice even if you know the water & still fish it your way .
whatever happens if its a smallish club youll find they will soon welcome you.
by the way WELCOME TO THE MAD MDs.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

MALC

Firstly Thepilgrim

Now your question,

This year i've joined a new club and on joining i already knew Dirk (previously posted) but nobody else and i must admit it did help break the ice at the first match and i was accepted straight away and joined in with the banter and was also on the receiving end of a lot of it.

But in the past though i have come across THE CLICK element in new clubs but as someone else already said after going to a few matches and chattering to people at the draw and weigh ins i've normaly slotted in very quickly.

But i've also seen people that are a lot quiter than me get pushed away but luckily those instances are few and far between in clubs.

Unlike on some of the open circuits which are very clicky and are normaly full of self opinionated
s that are scared of a new face.

But it's the same with all types of angler some are okay and some are not.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Polepot

Poles
Welcome The Pilgrim,

On the subject of match fishing my experience has been different and I have found the majority of people friendly and indeed in some cases very helpful.

I fished my first match indeed it was an open match 4 weeks ago - I must add I had no expectations of the event. I was drawn next to a top angler who after setting himself up came across and started chatting. He suggested I tried ceratin things and made certain changes to my approach - which he explain and I could see his logic.
Where I finished in the event is immaterial but his help and attitude led to me turning up again last week. Although he was not pedgged next to me this time he again came and made me feel most welcome as on this occassion did a few others.

I am like a mini entered in a Grand Prix but I have got my feet wet and am now looking for a small club to get match fishing regularly.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Welcome pilgrim to the forum,

I have fished for a number of years and indeed fished opens for a few of them.The clicks are there in any sport and you just need to break them down by being friendly and enjoying yourself.They probably are just feeling you out.After all if you win then they see you as a threat and will want to know what you are doing and will talk to you after the match.If you are not a threat then they will treat still talk to you but probably about football or something else.

Just be yourself and don't worry about them,once one or two talk to you or you to them then things do change normally for the better.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Status
Not open for further replies.