First Rod

Robbo84

Hi Guys I have just started developing an interest in fishing and was looking for some advice on my first rod. I've decided to start with a float rod and would ideally like to spend somewhere around £50. Could you give me some advice on any good rods that you think would be suitable. I have been looking at the Daiwa Ninja and the Sonik SKSC commercial waggler rods, either of these a good choice? I am fortunate to live over the road from some lakes which has a variety of fishing available. I'm looking to start off simple.
Any advice would be much appreciated

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well it's a great hobby to take up :)

I have a 10ft ninja which is pretty good for the money but I'd probably advise getting the 11ft version to get a bit more versatility. That said I'd probably go for the Shakespeare agility that is now discontinued but still available on bobco. That way you can get a proper 13ft float rod that used to retail over £100 but are now less than £60. They're genuinely decent whereas as the ninja is more just good for the money.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It's the right way to start off. For my part I reckon the Shimano Forcemaster commercial rods are a good way to kick off at around the price you quoted. Like Silverfisher, I'd recommend going for an 11ft version rather than the 10 - gives you more options. It will cope with some goodly sized carp (if commercial waters are your thing) early doubles quite easily and a strong mainline. I've still got an old Shakespeare rod which still does a good job. I've never used a ninja rod so can't comment, but the reels I still use and they are absolutely fine and great value for the money

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Hi Guys I have just started developing an interest in fishing and was looking for some advice on my first rod. I've decided to start with a float rod and would ideally like to spend somewhere around £50. Could you give me some advice on any good rods that you think would be suitable. I have been looking at the Daiwa Ninja and the Sonik SKSC commercial waggler rods, either of these a good choice? I am fortunate to live over the road from some lakes which has a variety of fishing available. I'm looking to start off simple.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Welcome mate; can you give any more info on the lakes you will be fishing.(y)

Robbo84

Thank you all for your advice. It seems an 11ft rod is the way to go. To be honest I like the look of all the rods you guys mentioned but obviously looks don't really matter. It seems they are all a good choice though and within my price range. The lakes I will be fishing are located at 7 lakes country park. It's actually my place of work so I have good access. It's not amazing fishing but for someone just starting its perfect. I'm also only a few miles from Lindholme which will be good once I'm more competent

nejohn

Site Supporter
Although all of the rods mentioned are a decent 1st rod, if it was my money I would get onto eBay and order one of the daiwa commercial waggler rods from hull angling centre before they sell out, for 55 quid these are an absolute steal and in a different league to all the others mentioned plus at 11'6 they are a really good length to keep your options open.

Robbo84

Although all of the rods mentioned are a decent 1st rod, if it was my money I would get onto eBay and order one of the daiwa commercial waggler rods from hull angling centre before they sell out, for 55 quid these are an absolute steal and in a different league to all the others mentioned plus at 11'6 they are a really good length to keep your options open.
This looks interesting. Can these be used with a float like a basic float rod?

nejohn

Site Supporter
This looks interesting. Can these be used with a float like a basic float rod?
Yes they certainly can as that is what they were designed to do. Basically the same as all the other rods mentioned but with a much nicer action, slimmer, lighter and with better quality fittings. At the full rrp of £170 they were a decent rod but at £55 they are brilliant value for money, you really won't find a better rod for the money for what you are wanting to do with it, if I didn't already have about 5 similar rods I would buy one myself....I might still

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I've got the 10'6" version though I didn't get it at that low a price. A great rod

2bh my first rods were second hand - a float rod for £25 and a ledger rod for a tenner which, on reflection, mighht well have given up the ghost trying to land anything over about 5lb. Pity there seems to be no market in tackle shops any more for that sort of thing for 1st timers, but you can still get yourself pretty well kitted out for a reasonable price

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
I cant recommend the Daiwa Ninja range enough - i have both the 12ft float rod and the 12 feeder rod. Great rods for the money.

As I've said before, the feeder rod is the better rod but that's no reflection on the float rod - the feeder is SO good at the price point.

Robbo84

Thank you all for the advice. I've ordered the Daiwa commercial pellet waggler. The next step is a reel!

rd350lc

Thank you all for the advice. I've ordered the Daiwa commercial pellet waggler. The next step is a reel!
You won't go far wrong with the ninja reels if any are being discounted at the moment , but tbh if you spend 30 to 40 quid on a reel it will be a million times better than what I started fishing with .

2trinitythree

Just ordered one of these and the matching feeder rod, on a buying spree for fishing gear at the moment. Buying all new, they should arrive Wednesday and they’ll be put to the test Thursday or Friday.

rudd

Site Supporter
Just ordered one of these and the matching feeder rod, on a buying spree for fishing gear at the moment. Buying all new, they should arrive Wednesday and they’ll be put to the test Thursday or Friday.
Enjoy.

Dusty

Site Supporter

Nice choice mate 👍

I’ve said it on a few threads recently but the standard of budget nowadays is absolutely outstanding compared to say 15-20 years ago.

Try to stick with the reputable brands and you won’t go wrong.

Don’t hesitate to ask for advice on rigs, baits etc on here. You will learn loads from this site 👍