first rod and reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray

hiya wave.gif can you remember your first rod and reel? what were they and how long ago.

mine, about 29/30 years ago, was a shakespeare strike, 12ft fibreglass, blue in colour with a white butt section, i think it was a three piece rod? with it i had a black prince reel. i think i swapped an action man tank for them with some kid in school.

as it was my only rod and reel, they were used for everything including ledgering (the rod had a threaded end eye for a quiver/swing tip) and was used for a couple of seasons on the leeds/liverpool canal and on the park lakes in and around liverpool.

can you remember yours?

clean banks campaign 2002.....have you joined??

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam

Youngster and Poser hey Ray!
Fibre Glass! Whatever Next!

Circa 1956 Woolworths bought Tank Ariel 2 piece metal rod about 7 ft, literally made from MOD surplus Tank Ariels, painted Green and whipped with about 6 primitive rings!
Reel was a basic Centre Pin.
Boy did that catch me some little fish!
Hellova step up from the Garden Cane.
Later got bought a longer Split Cane Rod, 3 Piece and the Tank Ariel got relegated to a bomb rod.

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Edited by - Ziptrev on 11 February 2002 2:17:00 PM

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
1955 or thereabouts - a fly rod as soon as I got large enough to manage one. Loved it as a sign of "growing up" as it replaced the cane poles I had used up to then.

Around 1957/58 - glass spinning rod/reel. No idea of who made either but they were great. I loved the change from fly rod/reel which I also used to toss great, huge creations with a spinner mounted in front.

Not sure if the fishing gear got me more excited or the shotguns that came at about the same time. Started with a single shot .410 with an external hammer at about the same time as the fly rod. Moved up to 20ga automatic around the same time as the move to spinning gear.

Newt Vail

MALC

The first rod i used was one that my grandad gave me when he first took me fishing (around 1969/70) it was a cane homemade 11ft 2 piece job (still got it in the shed) with paper clips bent and whipped on for rings and the reel was an old wooden centre pin (no longer got) that my grandad also made.

I used that rod uptill the mid 70's, but i did get proper ring's put on it.
Malc

ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

jel

Hi Ray.
Me to ! Shakespear Strike. A good little rod as i remember,
my reel was a Mitchell 206 !(Still got it somewhere)id say it was
about 75-76 good memories!!!
cheers jel

j white

AlexR

hi all, my first rod was a daiwa tornado, from the 70`s, quite a nice rod actually, and with it i had a mitchell 300 i think it was (excellent reel) i got them off my dad, because he took up fishing again the same time as i did, but he had kept all his tackle from his earlier match fishing days.

;)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam

Bet it was endorsed by Ivan Marks , Alex.
I got 1 too and my boy still uses the feeder rod of same range.
Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

ray

hey alex, that was my second rod, daiwa harrier (ivan marks) with a mitchell 300 (still got both).......makes me feel old.

clean banks campaign 2002.....have you joined??

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
My first rod and reel was a snooker cue with some rings whipped on to it,and an old wooden centrepin held on by electrical tape.
Caught my first fish with it(a gudgeon)over forty years ago,can still remember it like it was yesterday.
Things progress though,nowadays i use a 14mtr 10 piece carbonfibre "cue"
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Yeah i remember my first rod and reel. Ive been fishing for 1 year but i got this when i was 7 it was a telescopic travellers kit from argos. And ive still got the thing. Its strong as hell as it landed a 15lb carp. I find it handy for going the river round my house where you can just push the end down if your going past a tree so it doesnt tangle. Has anyone ever had this telescopic from argos?

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
My first rod.. An Edgar Sealy black arrow and an Intrepid Boyo reel all donated by my cousin.i used these for years on the Leeds & Liverpool canal at Newley Bridge, far too long ago to remember the date but there ere plenty of Gudgeon being hauled in.

Stu

Larry

Lazarus
my 1st rod was an Abbey Fishing tackle of Redditch 12FT Green Heart Black Magic with a builtcane spliced tip float rod & an intrepid fixed spool reel.in about 1955/56 brought for my birthday.

Cheer's Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.