First outing fishing lures - River Nene, Ringstead

brianNN5

Site Supporter
I had my first outing lure fishing this morning on the River Nene at Ringstead (WDNAC, behind Brightwell's Lake).
Second cast managed to lose a lure in the reeds, not the best start!
Decided to walk to the downstream end of the stretch to see what the river was like and then work my way backwards.
My initial target was to catch a chub but the river is quite wide and very weedy in the margins along this stretch. There was also a strong downstream wind which was resulting in a lot of grass, leaves, etc. floating down the river which did not help retrieving. I also struggled with my casting, kept wrapping the very light braid (0.1mm) around the rod tip, must slow down.
However, managed to work out how best to retrieve my lure given the wind and soon managed to land a Pike (approx 5ibs - good job I was using a wire trace). Not big but good fun on a 7ft 3-14g rod.
This was shortly followed by a Perch in the next swim. Eventually had two more perch before stopping. The lure I used was a Salmo 3,5mm Rattler Hormet (Sexy Shad).
Enjoyed the few hours I had and look forward to my next outing. Not sure the stretch I fished was the best for Chub, will have to investigate further.

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Those bigger perch do look something

You wait till you get a two pounder, you'll remember that for a long time

See if you an do the hat trick of predators and get chub, perch and pike in the same session

Nice little first time outing

DFL

Site Supporter
I love lure fishing but hate losing a lure, I’ve minimised that by using at least 30lb braid, the fish don’t seem to mind.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
DFL - guessing you don't fish with soft plastic lures then as they don't last very long if you're catching!

DFL

Site Supporter
DFL - guessing you don't fish with soft plastic lures then as they don't last very long if you're catching!

I do, I try them all! The soft plastics are relatively dispensable being fairly cheap.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
True, just as well really as doesn’t take many takes before they’re ripped apart.