First one of the year

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just had a visit from my mum and while we were talking i looked up and a swallow was flitting about.

Tried to get a photo but ...well, it's a swallow and we allll know how slow they are!

Anybody else seen one yet??

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not yet Trogg but they do make their nests in our stable block every year. Years ago one little chick fell out of the nest and died so now I suspend an old landing net on brightly coloured cord and now when one falls out I can place them back in. Yes, I know, I probably shouldn’t but, I can’t help myself. 🤷‍♂️

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Saw 3 Buzzards kiting about on the canal today.
Yeah, what is it with Buzzards ? They are all over the place these days. We never saw a Buzzard when we were kids. Nice looking bird. Mean looking. 😳🤣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah, what is it with Buzzards ? They are all over the place these days. We never saw a Buzzard when we were kids. Nice looking bird. Mean looking. 😳🤣
I only know what they are because my brother in law pointed them out to me. 😁 He said he never used to see any so gets excited when he sees them now, but he did grow up in London. Lots of woodland round here, Wyre Forest.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Not seen any yet but really surprised by a kingfisher this morning doing high speed passes up and down the lake - so beautiful.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Lots of rabbits around our way mick, favorite snap for Buzzards.
Our local egg farmer ( Bellamy ) throws any dead chickens he has over onto some spare land. To the local Buzzards it’s like ringing the dinner bell. Not many rabbits around here as we are mostly clay. 😫

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Our local egg farmer ( Bellamy ) throws any dead chickens he has over onto some spare land. To the local Buzzards it’s like ringing the dinner bell. Not many rabbits around here as we are mostly clay. 😫
Get out Branton, Auckley, Blaxton and Finningley way and it’s rabbit metropolis.

Tantric Socks

Site Supporter
I briefly knocked off a bird from Epworth in my early 20’s. Full on Wicker Man territory out there.
I moved to the Isle 11 years ago, and its a good place to live, but I understand what you say about the people. Epworth is probably the more normal place, as its been watered down by "outsiders". If you want strange, Owston Ferry is the place to be