First Match advice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancey

Hello!

I am looking at fishing my first match this weekend, it is on one of my club waters, I have only just joined the club and only fished the water twice, and they were both evening sessions.

There are no matches between now and then so I cant pop down to see what is fishing well, and there is barely ever anyone there in the evenings to speak to.

What would you guys recommend as the 'bread and butter' for all matches that I should make sure I take with me? (Other than Pellets, Corn, Groundbait etc)

The lake is 'semi-commercial', it is man made but not heavily stocked. It holds carp to 17ish lb, tench to 5lb and a fair head of silvers, with some decent bream. There aren't a huge head of smaller 'match/pasty' sized carp.

I know I haven't given much information but I think I have included everything I know. I am tempted to try a GB feeder to hit the silver's and tench but on my two evening sessions I haven't even had a knock on the feeder (although it was only fished as a 2nd line while I fished the pole, so I wasn't regularly casting etc).

If anyone is from the Bristol area and knows the Alcove water's it is George's at Whitehouse Farm.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you may have.

dancey

This is the lake, so as you can see it is not a normal looking commercial, please ignore the red line, I pinched the image from my fishing report the other day:

georgespeg.jpg

POLEAXE

How did you get on in your previous sessions ? If you did ok , stick to what method worked best .
It does seem you have a choice of going all out for silvers or holding out for a couple of big lumps .
My only advice is , just go out and enjoy the match , dont get too overhauled by the fact its a match .
Be sure to ask for advice in future matches , get as much info as possible ,and get a few practice sessions in before the match . To be honest the info I have got off this forum as helped me a great deal .
Good luck

cess monkey

Groundbait feeder with maggot, caster and worm sould get you a few fish, it works on most venues.
Feed a pole line at the bottom of the inside shelf too, theres no point in fishing 40yards out if you can catch under your rod tip.

dancey

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I will probably fish three lines. GB Feeder out towards the centre of the lake with Maggot/Worm as hook bait, then a pole line at the bottom of the inside shelf and keep a margin line feeding until I see some fishy action or for the last two hours or so.

When I fished previously it has been from about 1830Hrs, and I fished the margin's, I had a couple of tench, skimmers and crucians, I had about 12-15lb in 2.5-3 hours fishing, I've not a clue what sort of weights win the matches on this lake. The match is from 1300-1900Hrs so hopefully I can get some decent fish from the margins for a lot of the match.

Thanks again guys

dancey

I've been lucky enough to get some info' off the winner of the last two matches.

It seems the way to go is 11m out fishing Paste and Soft Pellet's. Didn't find out what weight he won with yet, but at least I know the tactic's to use!

Looks like I will fish at 11m with Paste and Pellet's and keep feeding a margin line to try and bag a few bonus lumps.

Cheers

slf

NUFC
Originally posted by dancey

I've been lucky enough to get some info' off the winner of the last two matches.

It seems the way to go is 11m out fishing Paste and Soft Pellet's. Didn't find out what weight he won with yet, but at least I know the tactic's to use!

Looks like I will fish at 11m with Paste and Pellet's and keep feeding a margin line to try and bag a few bonus lumps.

Cheers

dont take it for granted though, just because paste and pellet at 11m won last week doesnt mean it will this week, hew might of been pn flyer etc. generaly you get a feel of the matches after afew and know the different ways you need to fish on certain pegs, days etc. its amazing how much it can change from one match to the other

rourke7719

Big Stu
My tip would be to start off by fishing to your strengths. There is no point in sitting it out on a method you are uncomfortable with. Get used to fishing in matches and get a feel for the water before you start trying to do new things.

Nobody starts off match fishing by winning everything so go in with a learning head and you'll soon be doing alright

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Matchmen have been known not to tell the truth ! lol
You have now formulated a plan but keep your eyes peeled to the methods the others are using. Don't go chopping and changing during the match just have faith that what your doing will catch fish.
After the match ask questions and keep the knollage for your practise ;)

Good luck PaulN

P.S. DON'T PANIC

dancey

Originally posted by pauln

Matchmen have been known not to tell the truth ! lol

I did think that but the blokey is the match secretary for the club and I have meet him when I bought my ticket and he was geniunely trying to help me with tactic's etc (before I mentioned fishing the matches [;)]) and I have emailed him to get that info' today and it is similar advice to that he gave me before, just a month down the line.

I don't think he sees me as any sort of threat so hopefully he isn't lieing although I will be bearing that in mind. The advise to watch what the other's are doing on the day will definitely be taken on board, if everyone gets their tip rod out then I know I have been stitched up [:p]

It's quite funny as I am actually getting a little bit nervous (in an excited way) about fishing my first match.

I am going to try and get a session in one evening this week to try some paste out (I have fished pellet on this water before with ok results so I know that works) to see if it can induce some bites.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Something else to bear in mind. Practising is great for sorting out rigs, sussing out depth and contours etc. BUT, and its a major consideration, 99.9% of the time, any given venue will fish very different under match conditions.

You will have anglers feeding more than pleasure anglers tend to, you'll have anglers trying to 'pinch' your fish and stop fish leaving or passing through their pegs into yours. All (I hope) legitimately, its a part of match fishing. If you have more space to one side or the other, utilise it, likewise if you have a feature.

Another bit of advice, it may seem negative at the time, but will pay dividends in the long run, if you're getting battered by other anglers, go and sit quietly behind them and watch what they are doing. (Being careful not to walk up their margins etc or you won't be welcome).

There are several matchmen in th Bristol area who have blogs, they don't cover the lake you are fishing, but reading them will give you an idea of how they approach a match and make changes where necessary during the match.

http://tonyrixon.blogspot.com/

http://silverfoxangling.blogspot.com/

http://cluckerspeg.blogspot.com/

and a link to my own inane ramblings, can be found at the bottom of this post.

Last edited:

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
"It's quite funny as I am actually getting a little bit nervous"
I fished my first match 30 years ago and I still get nervous for big matches lol
Try not to over complicate your fishing and enjoy the day :)

PaulN

dancey

Thanks for all the help.

Especially the blog's. It was really helpful to see just how adaptive you need to be to get a decent weight but not to chop and change too much.

dancey

Originally posted by Blargus

Tom, good luck, please let us know how you got on eh ?[:T]

I certainly will.

Hopefully after the match, unless i'm getting hammered in which case I will let you know half way through [:D]

ha ha, only joking, I would never give up, I will be fishing every second of the match [:)]

I'm off down the tackle shop to get me some scopex and green lipped mussel flavourings for my expanders this lunch time!

Going to have a practise session tomorrow evening. Unfortunately I wont be able to fish the full length that I will on Saturday, as I have to work [:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.