first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin.

Account Locked
hi
i was having a browse through som of the older postings in the been fishing sect and come accross the posting zippy posted on our first meeting in feb 2002 which was also the first time i met any one off the MDs & have never looked back.
so it made me think what have others said of your you on your first meeting trevs veiw was
First impression was of a mischievous smile, piercing blue eyes that wouldn't miss a trick and a very warm welcome handshake! I relaxed knowing Maggot Drowners had scored again and I was in for a great 2 days.
end quote
from that day till his sad departure we remained very good friends & he will always be in my thoughts.
so whats first impressions either of someone youve met or thre first impression of you

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D]

Hi Martin... Well my first fishin last year at Elvington, was a eye opener for me....[:D][:D] l just didnt know what to expect, never seen any of the maggotdrowners before so was nervous as hell...[:D] l thought they will be hardened matchmen and wouldnt say buggar all to each other....[;)][;)] but nothing could be further from the truth...l was made most welcome by all the lads l met there...Dai, Trogg, Dave, Stu, Ray,Esox,Geoff and lastly the one and only Trevor Manning, it was a pleasure to meet such a nice guy, before the dreaded c took charge of his life...R.I.P Trev...[:D][:D][:D]...

Looking forward to many more fishins ,fun matches in the coming months...well as many as l can before the new baby mookster arrives in October....[:D][:D]......
Apologies to Geoff, he had to put up with me in his tent...many thanks mate....soz about the landing net.....AGAIN !!!!!!![;)][;)]
Cheers....

MOOKSTER....The one an only !!!!....MAGGOTDROWNERS SIMPLY FISHIN..[:D]

Last edited:

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I met Ray before I heard about Maggot Drowners, and then met Dave, Stu, Trogg, Zippy, Larry and Dave Platt at Izaak Waltons, in December 2001. That was my first ever fish-in and the one which introduced me to the world of MaggotDrowning.

We had another day at Izaak Waltons in March of last year when Zippy thought to hijack a day Ray and myself had planned, and 18+ turned up for the day.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every fish in, and enjoyed the company.

In fact even Mookie forgetting me from Elvington, after snapping my landing net handle, I can cope with.

I look forward to meeting a few more MDs this year.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
The first impressions of all the Maggot drowners I have met have all been good (thank god I met Trogg off a diferent forum or I would not have been able to say that) I think I have made some very good friends in the last year since that first meeting on J47 M4 last Feb (I cant remember the old gits name but he supports a rubbish rugby team [;0]) I have been lucky enough to atend many of the fish-ins and enjoyed them all. The only bad part was the passing of a good friend Trevor.

Lets hope we have as much fun in the next 12 months

Dai Fish

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Go on then, my first impressions of you lot [8D]

To be honest, I couldn't realy say other than I've met a lot of you over the past months/years and you still never fail to amaze me lol
There's such diversity between us all from accents, thin ones, fat dumpy ones [:eek:)], tall 'uns, short 'uns but the one thing we all have in common is the beer, whoops fishing [:D][:D]

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
first impressions??

I came, i saw, i liked, so now i'm going to take over the planet cos the planet Troggesus is dying & we want you brains (& wimmin, sheep, highland cattle, aberdean angus & of course your fish. you can keep the beer cos its all cr....erm not nice)

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The first time i met Trogg it was a freezing cold morning in a car park at Izaak Waltons.
There was this great bear of a man telling all that would listen, that a couple of Yorkshiremen were a pair of wusses,having deserted perfectly good bivvies for the comfort of B/B in the local pub.
(have to keep it clean,kids read this [;)])
What can you say about him? What you see is what you get and i for 1 wouldn't have him any other way.[:D]

PS He does a wicked fry-up.[}:)]

Trev Well there's a man that has his own special place,through a couple of days fishing at Izaak Walton,numerous phone calls & e-mails culminating in a final session shared with Geoff at Old Bury Hill.
He was an inspiration in the way he faced up to what life had thrown at him and someone who i'm glad to have known and called friend.[:)]

And to all the rest of the M/D's that i've met & hope to meet in the future,THANK YOU ALL for making this the site it is.......The Friendliest on the Net

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I should have put up a seperate page for you two [^]

Troggy - (son of webbo) met him at not so sunny Staffordshire, Izzaks to be precise. Only met the guy once before and there we were parking the car in a muddy car park when this great lump of a guy in full camoflage gear came bounding over towards us something like "OI WHAT THE **** ******* ****** ******* ** ** ** ****** yorkIE puffs!!" [:D]
I thought it was a posh do because we had our own security lol
Saying that when Stu stood up out of the car, he dropped the 's' of puffs lol

Peter - Ever the diplomat, sincere and always a man willing to listen [:D]

What do they say, you get the rough with the smooth [:D]

Dave

Last edited:

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
An idea!!!

How about a MD crew charters a plane and takes a hop over here. We could spend a week or so with you folks taking apart a couple of the inland seas near me.

And I'd invite Todd Perdue (MTP) down from Virginia just so Trogg wouldn't be the largest or hairiest person at the lake. But he should probably have to kick in two shares of the cost. :D

Newt Vail

MALC

At a guess i'd say everyone who has met me would have the first impression of me something along the lines of.......

Skinny, Scruffy, Goofy and bit of an Idiot.....[;)]

And that ain't far from the truth realy..[:D][;)][:D]

But i can honestly say that everyone i've met through MD's has made fishing that little bit more enjoyable.

Even the poor souls that camped in my garden last year [;)][;)]

Some very good friends have been made through this site and long may that continue.[:D][:D]

Thanks to those i've met for the pleasure and to those i've yet to meet your the lucky ones [;)][;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

angler-mark

I first met Trev when he joined PAD Angling and was lucky enough to fish with him quite a few times, what struck me was his passion for anything to do with fishing and his ability to cope with his illness, I never heard one complaint unless it affected him not being able to catch more fish lol. He then introduced me to Martin and Sammy and then I found out about this site and joined as a member, I then met some more of you at the Trent fish-in and have never looked back since, except when missingphil dissapeared for the night and turned up the next morning with a flock of smiling sheep following him back to his tent, if ewe know what I mean [;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:

TINY

Tiny
I met Trogg a long time ago and I`m still taking the tablets to prove it.(A very likeable character and very funny)

John(Esox.20)is like a small David Bellamy,really nice guy with a very calculating mind and gets you interested in anything almost straight away.(again,another nice bloke)

Big D is a very enthusiastic young fella with a curiosity that wouldn`t just kill a cat,it would probably just commit suicide and save time.

Big D`s fishing buddy(plop)is another enthusiastic young`n,he can`t control his laughing.

I`m looking forward to meeting Geoff from Wales on Saturday and thats about all of them,up to now anyway.

All in all,Id say it`s been a pleasure up to now and I look forward to meeting the rest of you at some point.
All the best in the future ladies and gentlemen.

Andy.

Beebs

First met Geoff P, anyexcuse and Daifish a few weeks back at White Springs. All good humoured (even Geoff), all love fishing and unforunately it was all over too soon. Would like to have spent more time with them, but they sent me to the other side of the lake!![;)][:)]

Hopefully will get the chance to fish with them all again sometime soon, either down there or up my way.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Well I've only been on this site since May 2002, so I've probably missed quite a lot - I only asked for info on Border Fisheries and 340odd postings later I'm still here [:D]

I missed getting my name down for Elvington last year but thought I'd pop down anyway to see what was happening. I'd only been there two minutes when I got press-ganged by Dave (and his minder Stu) into buying a fiver's worth of raffle tickets. Unfortunately I didn't really know anybody but I did spot Trev and had an hour-long chat with him. Met Norm at Elvington too - instantly recognisable even without the jumper [:p]

My first fish-in was the Trent last September when I soon realised that there's not actually a great deal of fishing done at these events[;)] Big thanks to Mark for organising this weekend and it was a great shame that Trev couldn't make it to finally see Martin get his barbel.

Then there was Dave's little bash at Christmas, the Castle Howard route-march/pike match - least I managed to have a decent kip[:I][8D]

And now they've got me to organise a fish-in[:0]- is there no escape?

Seriously though you'd be hard-pushed to encounter such a friendly and likeable bunch and I've had the chance to fish places that otherwise I'd never even have seen.

Tight Lines

Simon

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mookie, mate, my tent is still recovering from that pillow you left in it, and your snoring.[:D][:D]

Geoff

G

Martin mate all i can say is.

I have not been let down in my thoughts about any of the M/Ders that i have met,each and every one of them,friendly,warm and most of all great to be with.

The first three i had the pleasure of meeting Martin was ,you Trev and Wayne,(waxy)at Doncaster,a day that shall remain with me,
The last time i saw Trev was also with you Martin,was it meant to be that way,who knows mate,but all i know my first and last meeting with you and Trev will stay with me.

Here's to meeting more M/Ders in the future,

PS
Malc thanks again for the loan of your garden mate,even tho there was an AXE on the outside table,[;)][;)][;)].

That was the first time i met with Dia Fish,merry campers together [:D]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember the first time I met Andy and Norm. They strolled across the field at Semmer Water, pulled up chairs to sit under my brolly and proceeded to light up cigarettes even though I had "No Smoking" signs up.

What a good night that was.[:D][:D]

Geoff

G

Yep Geoff, sorry about the smoke mate,[:p][:p].

That was the first time i met Larry,Semmer Water,a night on the beer, soaking wet inside and outside,Larry thanks for being great [:D][:D][:D]

catch me if u can
Andy,

norm

all meetings are class

here`s to manny more

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.