First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Hi Everybody

I've been looking through the site for a few days now and have found the Forums useful and interesting.

Congratulations to you all, you seem to have achieved a nice balance between serious, helpful topics whist at the same time allowing each person's own personality to come through in the light-hearted banter between yourselves.

I used to fish when I was in my teens (in the 70's), but drifted away from it once I discovered wine and women as they say. I'm married now with 3 children and have started to do a bit of fishing again with my two boys (14 and 9). The 9 year old is the keenest of the two, with the 14 year old coming along "if there's nothing better on offer".

My knowlewdge and skill is limited - but increasing as I spend time on sites such as yours - but the 9 year old hasn't overtaken me yet!

One observation that has struck me is that although the technology and techniques used have moved on a bit over the last 20 years or so, prices seem to be about the same.

The last float rod I bought, in the late 70's, was a 13' from Daiwa, that, along with a Mitchell reel cost me just over 20 as far as I can remember. Looking at some of the online tackle shops, and in your Tackle Forum, prices still seem to start around there.

Does anybody else who can remember that far back have any views, or, as is quite likeley, is it just my memory failing icon_smile_big.gif

AlanP

Polepot

Poles
Firstly Alan

Welcome aboard

I would agree with the point that tackle prices are very similar to the 70's and the technology has moved forward. This I am thankfull for as I have had to start again and would not have been able to get set up had the prices been higher.

Keep posting

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

G

Alan firstly welcome back to FISHING, and well done to you for getting your boys interested.And a warm Maggotdrowners welcome to you. Whatever you may need to know i am sure some one on the forum will be able to help you

i'm going to bait up
Andy

martin.

Account Locked
hi alanP
firstly welcome to the mad MDs this is the site for course anglers
& we never insult people BUT dont listen to toma his nieghbour rang me the oter night & said she had heard a lot of niose next door downstairs then heard his missus shout "ANDY WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU UP TO" andys reply was "Just trying to get a barrel of beer upstairs love" CANT YOU LEAVE IT TILL MORNING" she said "no it's already inside me dear" was his reply
I told his nieghbour i didnt know he drank LOL
hi andy alright mate

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome Alan,
Enjoy yourself on the site,and don't be afraid to ask,between us we normally manage to come up with an answer from somewhere

PS.i deleted your duplicate topic for you!

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

jel

Hi Alan.
Warm welome to you,like yourself i have also had a break from
fishing, and your quite right what you say.Since i got back into
angling its cost me a bloody fortune,and i still dont catch much,
but its sure fun trying !! Enjoy the forums.
cheers Jel.icon_smile_wink.gif

j white

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi AlanP,

Welcome to the mad house

keep posting and enjoy

tightlines

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

dazb

hi alan

welcome to the site!

Martin let toma be, that's my job to take the micky out of him!!!!lol

dazb

Edited by - dazb on 04 July 2002 8:06:32 PM

martin.

Account Locked
o/k dazb
ill leave andy alone just for the BARBIE king(or is it kens barbie)

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

G

Alan as you can see we have no secrets from one another on here.
Wait till i see him next dooricon_smile_blackeye.gificon_smile_blackeye.gificon_smile_blackeye.gificon_smile_blackeye.gificon_smile_evil.gif.
Nice one Martin (LoL)

i'm going to bait up
Andy

Del-J

' Victor '
Martin, please don't leave that old so and so Andy alone. Somebody has to keep him in check and tell the truth about him, while I'm away

Alan P welcome to the funny farm I hope you enjoy it.

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Alan P and welcome on board icon_smile_big.gif

As the site says "A meeting place for Coarse Anglers.." and you don't get much more coarse than this lot

Regards, Dave

FAQ: Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts ?
Yes, the 'Subscribe to' feature allows you to subscribe to individual Categories, Forums and Topics. You will receive an e-mail notifying you when a post has been made.

MALC

AlanP and enjoy your future back in fishing.

Regards the prices now to back in the 70's in alot of ways the standard is roughly the same in as much as low to middle priced tackle is fairly cheap but it's gone stupid at the top end in price but the advances in technology are huge which also means you actualy get alot better value for your money in the lower and middle price range.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
oooooo goody goody goody someone else to annoy icon_smile_tongue.gif

welcome to the site Alan (damn thats a good name)

Alan

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Alan P and welcome,
We didnt have 3000+ Poles to worry about in the 70's!, but I agree the Rods (and better standard ones) can start from around 20,although there are some overpriced 200 ones available!

I also fished with my boys in the 70's and I'm glad I did as they encouraged me back to fishing when I ceased work!

The investment in sharing with them now may reap you as great a reward as mine did.

Good Luck

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I see that the style of humour in fishing circles hasn't changed much over the years!

AlanP

waxlion1

AlanP

Welcome to the mad house icon_smile_wink.gif (watch out for the Trogg)

Waxlion1

G

Wayne, long time no see mate
Hows the kids and the mrs????.

Cya Wayne
Can you get to Trev's fish in?????

i'm going to bait up
Andy

Nige

Welcome AlanP icon_smile_big.gif

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

Status