First I'm in...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
"First I'm in care but not in fair, then I'm in turn but also in yearn."

For anyone that listens to radio 2, Sarah Cox does a word game similar to the above. Never been able to work it out myself especially when there's more than one letter that's either in or not in the other word. The contestants seem to understand it though as usually win a signed gift. I'm guessing it's just me that doesn't get it. Anyone able to explain it?

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
My first is in care but not in fair - means it must be either c or e because they are the only letters that are not in both words.
My next is in turn but also in yearn - must be either r or n because they are the only ones in both words.
... and so on.

An easy one:
My first is in cat but not in hat
My second is in low and also in go
My third is in when but never in then
My whole is a creature you'll see on a farm

A: COW

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers mate! Ah so you can have two letters and have to choose between the two... that's what confuses me, it's not easy, but also a wonder I ever passed the 11+ :LOL: Sara Cox I find to be a decent presenter, even if it means I'm stuck in rush hour, has the 'half wower' with the usual Radio 2 stuff... "crying at the discotheque/wore a tie like Richard Gere" etc.

Total

Site Supporter
"First I'm in care but not in fair, then I'm in turn but also in yearn."

For anyone that listens to radio 2, Sarah Cox does a word game similar to the above. Never been able to work it out myself especially when there's more than one letter that's either in or not in the other word. The contestants seem to understand it though as usually win a signed gift. I'm guessing it's just me that doesn't get it. Anyone able to explain it?
You need to get out fishing.... :whistle: :oops:;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here's another one for Radio 2 listeners from Popmaster "FOR 3 in 10"... never worked that one out either.

JayD

Site Supporter
Here's another one for Radio 2 listeners from Popmaster "FOR 3 in 10"... never worked that one out either.
Just googled it,
Two contestants play against each other for the chance to win a DAB digital radio. Each contestant is asked ten questions based on popular music from the 1950s through to the present day. Correct answers to the questions are worth three points, other than for the third, sixth and ninth "bonus" questions on a topic chosen by the contestant, from two options offered by the host prior to the start of the quiz. The bonus questions involve listening to a snippet of music and, if answered correctly, are worth six points. There is, therefore, a maximum total of thirty-nine points on offer.

The winning contestant then goes on to play "Three-in-Ten". In this part of the quiz they have ten seconds to name three UK Singles Chart hits for a particular artist or group named by Ken Bruce. If they successfully manage this they win the DAB digital radio; if they fail, they win a Bluetooth speaker. However, if a contestant scores thirty-nine points in the main round, they win the Digital Radio anyway, and the other contestant would play Three-in-Ten instead. Should both contestants score the same number of points (and the score is less than the maximum), a tie-break is used to decide who will play Three-in-Ten.

Sounds straight forward enough to me :unsure::confused::rolleyes:

John

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ah so three pop songs in ten minutes. Cheers. (y) It's just a bit of a cheesy jingle they play before it. :LOL: Too early in the morning for me when it comes on, a lot of people rate Ken Bruce, I find his voice quite sleepy, and it reminds me I'm working mornings.

Total

Site Supporter
My first is in care but not in fair - means it must be either c or e because they are the only letters that are not in both words.
My next is in turn but also in yearn - must be either r or n because they are the only ones in both words.
... and so on.

An easy one:
My first is in cat but not in hat
My second is in low and also in go
My third is in when but never in then
My whole is a creature you'll see on a farm
A. Bat?:unsure::oops::ROFLMAO:

baboboy

Site Supporter
Ah so three pop songs in ten minutes. Cheers. (y) It's just a bit of a cheesy jingle they play before it. :LOL: Too early in the morning for me when it comes on, a lot of people rate Ken Bruce, I find his voice quite sleepy, and it reminds me I'm working mornings.
10 seconds. It'll be like name three top 40 hits from The Pet Shop Boys.