First for me............bloody pike

IanG1

Site Supporter
Fishing one of my favourite Trent stick float pegs on hemp and tares today, roach had just started to switch on after half hour of seed trickling through the peg. Float dips and strike into a good stamp roach and proceed to play it to the net. With current levels your a bit high off the water here and need a 4m handle. Steering the roach of a good 12oz just over the lip of the net the water erupts and a double figure pike proceeds to jump into my net and in doing so dislodges the end section of my take apart handle. Roach escapes and net, top section of handle and pike slip into the depths. Was pretty much piked out in spells for the rest of the day and my spare handle is only 2.6m so landing fish quickly was fun. Ah well, wanted a new shiny handle anyway so excuse to do a bit of shopping LOL

IanG1

Site Supporter
Sawley, few pegs above the foot bridge over to Shardlow.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It would appear that the Trent is a totally different river to how I remember it. I used to have roach climbing up the rod at Clifton and never saw a pike.

IanG1

Site Supporter
It's alive with them Dave, little or no colour in the water most of the time, plenty of silver fish make ideal conditions for big old Esox to thrive. Plenty of big perch as well that I never remember seeing back in the day.

Dogbert

Site Supporter
I fish the stretch upstream of there and have frequent pike attacks. I call it pike alley.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It's alive with them Dave, little or no colour in the water most of the time, plenty of silver fish make ideal conditions for big old Esox to thrive. Plenty of big perch as well that I never remember seeing back in the day.
It started to lose its colour in the late 80’s if I remember correctly. It was like the kiss of death and lots of ‘good’ anglers started blanking. Nice to see the fish have returned but the predator situation doesn’t sound so good.

Arch

Site Supporter
This one's never far from this swim on the upper Trent. Unfortunately, it goes hungry when I'm there...... ;)

IMG_2626.JPG

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been far fewer pike attacks on the Thames this season than usual despite there still being loads of roach. I suspect they don’t like the lower flow than usual mixed with high temperatures as tended to get a few attacks early then nothing whereas they’d be about most the day usually.

Did have this sod giving me grief on the severn last week though as guess they have more flow to keep them happy there.

1660202393609.jpeg

Got it out eventually when I decided to go after it though.

1660202414868.jpeg

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Been far fewer pike attacks on the Thames this season than usual despite there still being loads of roach. I suspect they don’t like the lower flow than usual mixed with high temperatures as tended to get a few attacks early then nothing whereas they’d be about most the day usually.

Did have this sod giving me grief on the severn last week though as guess they have more flow to keep them happy there.

1660202393609.jpeg

Got it out eventually when I decided to go after it though.

1660202414868.jpeg
There were plenty of roach milling about in the edges either side of the footbridge going over the back channel at Sandford yesterday , thought a pike may have shown an interest,but nothing.
Roach looked decent fish looking down at them .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There were plenty of roach milling about in the edges either side of the footbridge going over the back channel at Sandford yesterday , thought a pike may have shown an interest,but nothing.
Roach looked decent fish looking down at them .
Is absolutely loaded with roach up there and a lot of small pike. The number of pike attacks have been decreasing session on session though as the dry spell progresses so I assume they don’t like the warming slowing water. Suspect they’ll start becoming a pain again come say start of September though.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Is absolutely loaded with roach up there and a lot of small pike. The number of pike attacks have been decreasing session on session though as the dry spell progresses so I assume they don’t like the warming slowing water. Suspect they’ll start becoming a pain again come say start of September though.
These were on the left side going over the bridge and on the right just before that pontoon/floating landing stage . A bloke was sat on that with his little lad casting out and getting some nice fish , He knew about the fish in the shallows but said casting to them earlier spooked them .He ended up moving because a family decided to go in for a swim and launch a big paddle board . They could have done that on the other side going towards the lock gates .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
These were on the left side going over the bridge and on the right just before that pontoon/floating landing stage . A bloke was sat on that with his little lad casting out and getting some nice fish , He knew about the fish in the shallows but said casting to them earlier spooked them .He ended up moving because a family decided to go in for a swim and launch a big paddle board . They could have done that on the other side going towards the lock gates .
Get a lot of people free loading fishing around there as the are too tight to pay £15 to join the club to fish the club stretches. They can keep it though as it keeps the club stretches peaceful whilst they fish amongst the chaos of that area. Part of the reason I love fishing the old channel (along with it being loaded with fish, picturesque and always a bit coloured and flowing) is that you get almost complete peace. The meadows stretch is almost as good tbf on a not too boaty day. Even more pike there though as the waters clearer.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
There was hardly any flow on both channels yesterday , The Kings Arm Pub was looking inviting ,but unfortunately my wallet was at home due to just going for a walk along the river and not needing to collect anything from the shops on the way .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There was hardly any flow on both channels yesterday ,
Not surprised. Was pretty slow flowing through July then on my session last weekend it really was just trickling by.

The Kings Arm Pub was looking inviting ,but unfortunately my wallet was at home due to just going for a walk along the river and not needing to collect anything from the shops on the way .
There’s a lesson in there somewhere 🤔😉