First driving lesson!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
I am absolutely buzzing as I have just been driving in my car.. my first time out on the open road [:D]

I did really well and didn't stall her once! Until I came back and parked behind mum's car and the car wouldn't stop then I cr*pped myself [:I] but I did stop it by slamming on! lol

Anyway, I love it I love it I love it!!!

Did 20 miles and am off out again after I have eaten!!

just wait till i start my driving lessons then they will be dangerous lol

what car do you think though?

pegeot 306 HDI estate for my fishing gear

or the hatchback version

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Oh dear, got screamed at coming through the local small town of Clun [:eek:]

Made a mistake of shifting in to 4th instead of 2nd when crossing a narrow bridge too [:(]

But still, no crashes yet *TOUCH WOOD*

midge99

Just remeber you start learning to drive once you have past your test. make sure your car has indicators.

Berrow

It is always a good idea to take the Advanced Driving Test. You might not think that is a good idea now but they will teach you a lot of skills that you will need to be aware of hazards and learn to plan your driving, like midge99 said, you start learning once you have passed your test. No, its not full of 'old' people but young ones. I passed mine at the age of 18 and then went on to instruct it. They teach you to make good progress not totter around the countyside but the important thing is to learn when it is safe to make progress!! You can have a lot of fun when you learn the full capabilities of your car and you will be a safer driver.

I passed my test...... well, we wont go there but I bought the new Range Rover V8 and it handles very differently from my last RR. So I had someone come and show me how to off road it properly around our farm and some things scared the S***t out of me but it made me understand my vehicle and what it can do. That is what driving is all about and you NEVER stop learning.

Happy motoring!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Berrow

It is always a good idea to take the Advanced Driving Test.
You'll save money with some insurance companies too - 10-20% discount with some.

Simon

Astounded Coach

Yes I agree.
I was heavily involved in rallying when I passed my test and did my first forest event a month after passing! The car control skills that taught me have got me out of trouble a few times
I was fortunate in that , I was in the old bill from the age of 20 and had the priviledge of doing the full police course (and passing I might add!!) The defensive driving skills that taught me are properly entrenched in my head!
`Berrows' Range Rover is a proper truck and i know the chap that sold it to her, proper bloke, helluva an angler (it was me!!![:D])

Last edited:

Berrow

Poor Astounded Coach, he sold me a truck, left the old LR dealership and now now has to sit by the river, in total peace and quiet watching our beautiful Barbel and doing Guided Barbel days on our Farm and teaching anglers to carp fish -- what a bummer!!!! It also means I can moan when something oges wrong with my truck!!

TripleTony

My son has just started driving lessons at 17 after having a year on a 'ped. We then started getting insurance quotes for him on a 1 litre Vauxhall Nova..........Lowest 1500, Highest 3000!!!! And this was 3rd party only!!! They are trying to price youngsters off the roads and would not take into account an accident free year on two wheels! On the bright side, he's doing really well![:)]

Chin

err.. pass plus is a waste of time. i did mine and to be honest it has not saved me a penny. one insurer even said, whats a pass plus!

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Originally posted by TripleTony

My son has just started driving lessons at 17 after having a year on a 'ped. We then started getting insurance quotes for him on a 1 litre Vauxhall Nova..........Lowest 1500, Highest 3000!!!! And this was 3rd party only!!! They are trying to price youngsters off the roads and would not take into account an accident free year on two wheels! On the bright side, he's doing really well![:)]

Have you tried him on a parent's insurance?

I am insured 3rd party fire and theft on my mum's policy as a named driver of my Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Turbo diesel with Direct Line. They let me build my own no claims bonus as a named driver on mum's policy. It was also a lot cheaper than I expected too.

I received a quote online for 720 third party fire and theft, then rang them to confirm my insurance and the nice bloke worked it down to around 480. Sorted!

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Originally posted by Berrow

It is always a good idea to take the Advanced Driving Test.

I have saved 1000 just to learn. My sister has promised to pay for my theory and practical tests, so that is another 100 I don't have to spend, which is getting on towards the Pass Plus course fees.

If I have enough money left, I fully intend to take the Pass Plus course!

TripleTony

Ed2,
Tried under my name but after years of riding motorbikes, I've only got 1 years car NCB. Might try under my wife's policy (as long as he doesn't have a prang!. She's got loads........she doesn't drive fast enough to have an accident!!

newies_maggots

just hope you dont turn out like the rest of the boy racers in this country as soon as they pass....

pelly

The Lincoln Imp!
If you want a really good tip, dont bother buying a flash car till you're older.

Thats just what I'm doing, I can afford a Lotus Elise if I wanted to, buy no, I've got a Vauxhall Corsa due to the insurance rates, I'm 19 years old and I figure its easier to wait till I'm like 25-30 then buy a flash nice looking car, NO 4x4's or BMW's for me, they're too big for my liking, also too big to be parked in my area.

I've noticed its easier to buy a car you learnt your driving lessons in, that way, you learn faster and also without the stress of adapting to different cars.

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
err.. pass plus is a waste of time. i did mine and to be honest it has not saved me a penny. one insurer even said, whats a pass plus!

Pass plus is a very useful tool as you can't drive on a motorway as a learner so if you do the course you get to learn motorways!! Most insurers do reduce the premium, you must have been on some boy racer insurance site Chin[;)]

Berrow

Pass Plus is good but the police also used to offer a FOC guidance on the Motorway and it was done through the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists). Any lesson with the IAM is FOC and you only pay for your test and books required. Its a bargain as it oculd save your life. West Mercia did the Motroway guidance so it might be worth a call to your local police station as it does not cost you a penny and lessons are really expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.