First day on the pole

Gary.J

Having picked up a 10metre margin pole a few days ago, I had my first attempt at pole fishing yesterday. I didn’t use the full 10 metres and started fishing about 6 - 8 metres down the margin. I started well catching two crucians and a mirror carp around four pounds but lost quite a few more, the float was going under and I was hooking the fish but the fish we’re getting off within seconds? This continued throughout the afternoon😡 I lost a couple more which seemed to be well hooked . Later I changed position to fish a lily pad and the same thing happened failing to hook the fish properly? I did manage to finish with another couple of carp, but don’t know why I was losing so many fish, very frustrating! My set up was as follows:
I was feeding using a feeder cup with a mix of ground bait and pellets.
Elastic Used was hi viz size 10 - 12
Hook size 16
Bait: Maggots, corn and soft pellets all directly on the hook.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong will be appreciated, as my catch rate was very poor.
Thanks

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Might be a few things (although it happens to us all!!
Could have been lots of fish in your swim & you may have foul hooked a few. Or they could have been off the bottom which meant you've foul hooked them.
How did you plumb up? Did you have too much line on the deck or were you fishing dead depth?
How long was your lash (length of line between pole tip & float)? If it's too long, you may not have been setting the hook properly & it may not have a firm hold. You caught a few so you're obviously doing something right!

Gary.J

Plumbed up with a plumbet , Fished dead depth and 2” over depth. The lash was around 18” long.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Okay - try plumbing to the bottom of the float body & shorten the lash to 12 inches....see if it makes a difference. Also if it keeps happening next time you go, shallow up a bit & fish off the bottom.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Almost certainly foulhooked fish. I would cut out the groundbait and try feeding 4, even 6 mil pellets. The groundbait could be bringing too many fish in and they would be swirling around, not getting their heads down to feed properly.

Take some shot off the line and lift into proper float disappearing bites.

I was wondering about the number of foulhookers reported by others in my club match last Sunday. People blamed the depth of the margins, "too deep". I think I had three foulhookers all day. The conclusion I came to was that the difference was that I use a 10 inch hooklength, the others were probably on 4 or 6. This means a fish is more likely to move the bait rather than the float when bumping or brushing my hooklength. But I still see the bite when the bait is sucked in.

When you hook the fish put the pole tip under water to calm the fish down. Trying to get them to the surface too early intensifies their fight and could cause hook pulls.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Might be a few things (although it happens to us all!!
Could have been lots of fish in your swim & you may have foul hooked a few. Or they could have been off the bottom which meant you've foul hooked them.
How did you plumb up? Did you have too much line on the deck or were you fishing dead depth?
How long was your lash (length of line between pole tip & float)? If it's too long, you may not have been setting the hook properly & it may not have a firm hold. You caught a few so you're obviously doing something right!

If you follow the fish with the pole (i.e. point the pole at the fish) you could end up with more hook pulls too. Try and keep the pole low (or under the water as Neil said) and at a bit of an angle to fish 👍🏻

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Playing fish on a pole is not the same as playing them on a rod and line. It's a bit more subtle than just holding - you have to adjust the pressure slightly all the time. It will come with practice. Keep the pole low when you first hook the fish - the tip should not be bent round like a rod.

Gary.J

The ground bait point definitely makes sense, as I was sure I was getting the equivalent of line pulls as the float was moving without going under. I only struck when the float disappeared.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
If you follow the fish with the pole (i.e. point the pole at the fish) you could end up with more hook pulls too. Try and keep the pole low (or under the water as Neil said) and at a bit of an angle to fish 👍🏻
I will point the pole at the fish but only when I have hold of the topkit. This allows the whole of the elastic to work without the friction caused by the angle when applying side strain. but then I use heavier elastics than most and this may be something unique to me.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
When you strike, lift straight up and not to the side. Perhaps hair rigging with results in more connected and better hooked fish.