First Class Flights Etihad v Cathay Pacific

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
All,

Anyone had experience of flying 1st class with these airlines? the prices now are the same as what Business Class was so will fly 1st to Philipinnes next year.

Found some online reviews but only a few and do not really trust them the way they are written so thought i would ask for first hand experiences

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Im watching this an all as im very interested in a visit down that way, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and possibly the Philippines whilst im there.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Mate of mine goes to Thailand every year & always uses Etihad these days. Said he can't fault them. Also - a couple of our customers live in Thailand (Shes's Thai, he's English) but fly home a couple of times a year to see the family. They also use Etihad exclusively, they say they're brilliant. Prices are normally spot on as well.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
First Class !!!!!

bloody hell, pretty near everytime I been on a plane I get "Rammo class", and bloody lucky to get a drink free !

let alone enough room for my undoubtedly large frame to sit comfortably

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Flew First Class to Dubai and Jamaica both Night flights nice and Comfy and we got a pillow and Blanket (y)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i would expect a bit more with 1st class over BC as you get a flat bed, pillow and blanket in BC lol

that is why i am asking what 1st class on those specific airlines are like as other airlines their 1st class is the same as Business Class.

I expect Etihad 1st to be quite a experience, even CP as both noted for great service but never flown 1st with either hence the question

The Runner

Site Supporter
Flown to there with both in the past but never first class.
As you say though would imagine Etihad 1st will likely just go that extra yard.
Ten years at least since flew there with Cathay and timings have likely changed but would generally end up having a much longer stopover with them,

Last time I went was with Etihad- in recent years we'd just been using Philippine Airlines for their direct flight but decided that 14 hours was past my limit for enjoyment and even by airline standards their food isn't the best.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
thats the thing, i usually fly PAL business class and its comfy but going to fly to Cebu this time as we are moving there and Etihad and CP both have 1st class flights for the same as what PAL business Class usually is hence why i am tempted and one way flight next time woohoo!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They must be struggling if they are offering that sort of deal, I thought first class was generally more expensive than the holiday! I've only flown business class once when someone else was paying. I often think about it but then think it's just not worth that much more money. However first class at business class price sounds an absolute bargain!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
its still £3000 to £3700 one way 1st on Etihad or CP, PAL is £4k.5+ for 1st so not exactly cheap but was £4000 to £5000 Business Class return normally, just trying to find out if Etihad or CP have the better 1st Class experience

like you say it sounds too good to be true so just wondered if anyone on here had any experience

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Christ that's obscene! Someone just be doing well ???

£3700 is roughly twice what I spend on two weeks fishing in Florida and that includes flights, house, car, boat and spending money!

My parents went to oz last year on Etithad economy one way business the other and the tickets totalled roughly a grand each.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
pay your money make your choice bud, when i travel i like to be comfortable and yes a tad spoilt lol same as that is why i love long haul and Asia as i can have a cheap holiday there with a nice flight and overall its a great cost but also love BC to the US but its such a short flight nowadays its not a pre-requisite

plus this is my final flight for my perm move there so tad more than just a holiday

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
lol it wont last, plan on having a wife and kids in the near future so priorities will change massively lol

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Life changing stuff. Won’t you miss your fishing, amongst other things ?

rudd

Site Supporter
How much is cattle class equivalent?
I am fortunate to be able to travel 1st class on a train whilst on business ?

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I travelled to Uae with Etihad, it was only business class but best airline I have flown with. A colleague did get a free upgrade to 1st class and had his own bedroom. Only think you dont get and pork/bacon so breakfast is interesting. They do a free pick up and drop off service so you dont have to worry about taxis or parking.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Just had a look at Etihad and it’s roughly just over£420 for economy, business £2800 and £3500 for first class. I must admit I’m with Gingert on this, it’s a likely once in a lifetime experience and worth doing provided you can afford those prices.
A great way to start your new life. ?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
certainly things i will miss but equally things i will not miss and lots of new experiences and life changes that will happen and (hopefully) all for the better. I have spent quite a few months living in the Philippines already and i am going to move and embrace their culture and history and their way of life, not try and continue to live my westernised life there as its very very different and we expect people who more to the UK to embrace UK life and adapt to the UK (well i d anyway) so i believe it should be the same for me there

Life changing stuff. Won’t you miss your fishing, amongst other things ?