First blank this year !

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
Lake looked ok .it was a pleasant day with.....bit of wind.............there were 6 rods out that day plus my two. I was using my normal feeder with a small fruity pellet on one rod........and a 12mm Manilla on a chunkier rod with a few freebies in a mesh bag.
The other anglers knew the water and were all solid and experienced. I didn't get a knock or a twitch all day. Been fishing these lakes since early May 3 times a week. And have never blanked..........though once or twice I was saved by a small bream or roach. But yes I blanked. It had to happen sooner or later..............everyone else blanked too ...not a fish caught. Unusual day.
I think it was good for the soul..I still enjoyed the day.. The following day I went out with a vengeance........ended up with one 18lb common... and one 15lb .and a few bream and a roach. Im glad I got my blank out of the way. :) Its bound to happen again some time :)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
All been there - if you catch every time where’s the fun

Time for a change of tactics maybe ?

Smaller baits, different rigs perhaps even bomb & bread or a similar big switch up ?

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
If you looked at the 8 rods out that day.......a wide variety of tactics were being used. It was just one of those days. And all of us there chopped and changed a bit. Just a difficult day.

Paul22

It’s coming into that time of year I suppose but sometimes you never know!!!!!
Bod nudd told me he’s always relieved to get the first fish as he said “ you never know”
Many years ago we did our usual jaunt to Newark dyke for some roach sport and although it was cold we used to go there knowing we had a better chance of getting a few anyway we blanked not a bite or anything and the other anglers were the same not a fish was caught along that particular stretch
“You never know” 🙏

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t recall if I’ve had a blank this year yet, don’t think I have. Only really happens to me chub fishing in winter but didn’t do much of it last winter and don’t recall not catching this side of the turn of the year. Come pretty close on the canal a couple times right at that start of the year but a few fish always saved it. Think I can fairly confidently say I’ve never blanked from roughly start of May to end of October.

Sportsman

Came close to my first blank of the year yesterday. Fished all day with feeder and waggler. Not a twitch on feeder. After 4 biteless hours the waggler sank out of sight and I hooked a lively carp. Hooklength (0.17 N Gauge) snapped after 30 seconds.
I told myself I would stop fishing at 4.30 pm and at 4.25 I had one of those instinct bites, not sure the float moved, but struck anyway and hooked and landed a 3oz roach. I decided life was not going to get any better than this and packed up.;)

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Always avoid a blank if I can. Born out of gruelling winter league matches were ounces won. Great days nevertheless though. Mindset is catch a fish then go for the target. Hence why I always try to have a pot of worm with me. A little stripey or blade roach is all it takes on a tiny bit of dendra.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Nice to see you got your blank out of the way quickly. I also always feel motivated to get back out after a blank. I blanked twice this season, both when fishing for tench. I had 3 blanks in a row on the Thames last winter. It was at this stage I decided to wait for a bit of warmer weather 😵‍💫