Fireworks

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The first of many ( I Hope )

I have long been against the free availability of such items to the general public to used indescriminately, far better that they are only available to properly trained and qualified staff for organised events

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Yep gotta agree our Albert is petrified to the point I had him at the vets last night to get him some calming tablets ☹️

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
might be an idea david, to have him out with a shooting party,

slow introduction to the bangs

two bobs worth, barks his head off at the noise, not sure if its fear or what, but his hackles come right up and the sharpey teeth are on view

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Mine were brought up in their youth to come outside and watch the fireworks so I have no problems. When their asleep and there's a big bang blue might twitch an ear and cookie looks up to see if somebody is knocking on the door and may give a huff. Then it's back to sleep.?

PAB

Site Supporter
great move by Sainsburys. none of my dogs have ever been worried about fireworks or any loud bang could it be because I don't take any notice and still take them out when there are fireworks about and this I find helps de-sensitise them.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
TBH I don't think that Sainsburys stopping sales will make much difference overall as people will just buy over the internet or as we see by me - a pop up shop just before the 5th November.
The problem with fireworks now is we have more ethnic diversity and with that comes religious festivals such as Diwali,Eid or Chinese New Year.
We have have gone from a few days around the 5th to weeks before and after and now any festival religious or otherwise all year round.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
might be an idea david, to have him out with a shooting party,

slow introduction to the bangs

two bobs worth, barks his head off at the noise, not sure if its fear or what, but his hackles come right up and the sharpey teeth are on view

The vet said to us yesterday to download a programme to and play it at a low volume gradually increasing it gradually till he becomes used to it, Alberts the same with the barking at home but outdoors he tries to bolt, if he weren’t on the lead I dread to think what would happen to him.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Guy Fawkes was the only man to enter parliament with the best intentions...
I'd ban all fireworks to be honest... waste of money... you might as well sit in yer back garden burning tenners and shouting "Boom" it amounts to the same thing.... and annoyingly, now it's not Guy Fawkes night... it's Diwali, New Year, some twonks birthday, or any excuse to let the bloody things off.... animals are terrified of em....

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
We don't have a dog (or any pets) but we do look after 2 or 3 when their owners are away. Here's one of them 'Alfie' last bonfire night. Does he look bothered?..

Just Chilling.jpg

Feldy

Site Supporter
Yep gotta agree our Albert is petrified to the point I had him at the vets last night to get him some calming tablets ☹
Same as Sherlock, petrified of the bangs, wouldn't mind so much but they go on for about a month :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Our dogs aren‘t really that bothered. Buxton isn’t very ethnically diverse and we only get fireworks around bonfire night.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I have always thought fireworks should be restricted to licenced, organised displays only. It seems crazy to me that people spend most of the year shielding defending and protecting young adults from as much harm as possible, then come fireworks night we say "go on then - go and play with some explosives!"

While I applaud Sainsbury's decision. The fact they say the reason is "commercially sensitive" probably means they just don't think there's enough cash in it, or that they're worried they might get sued when little Johnny blows his fingers off.

Gwillim

No matter what Sainsbury's reasons are for withdrawing them from sale I believe this is a good thing and may just be the first of many (hopefully) if they make the move others may well follow suit, if the big names like Sainsbury's stop selling them then it makes it easier for the laws regards the sale of them to be changed more easily and swiftly as their lobbyists wont be putting barriers in the way.

As a qualified and licensed Explosive Demolition Engineer and former military I have always been amazed at what is so readily available for purchase in this country and just how powerful some of these are.

Pyrotechnics can be amazing and when done professionally they are extremely safe and that is the only way that they should be used in my opinion, whether that is for Guy Fawkes night, religious festival, new year or whatever the event. Many have mentioned their dogs in the comments which I also get being a dog owner myself, but what about the elderly? ex services with PTSD? those with mental health problems? autism? the list could go on and on, still we haven't even mentioned the extra cost's incurred by our emergency services and the NHS for all of the call outs whether that is to accidents or incidents where the crew's are often attacked with fireworks............

Yet we allow these dangerous devices to be sold over the counter to any Tom, Dick or Arry!!!

foster82

I find it weird how you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, yet you can buy explosives over the counter at 16.

The Law changed back in the 90s and you do have to be 18 to buy them. Think it was around 97 that it changed, just before I tuned 16.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Winston isnt bothered at all, he's quite hapy outside when the fireworks are going off, he'll stand near empty skips as bricks and rubble are dropped in, and at this year's Fisho final we were stood near the stage as they sounded the siren. He didnt flinch.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Winston isnt bothered at all, he's quite hapy outside when the fireworks are going off, he'll stand near empty skips as bricks and rubble are dropped in, and at this year's Fisho final we were stood near the stage as they sounded the siren. He didnt flinch.

are you sure it computes with him ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Albert I think would have been ok but when he was a pup he was with me on a site and a aerosol went off on the site fire, I was gonna pasload the labourer to the scaffold but he swore he didn’t know since that day the slightest bang and he gets a bit edgy ☹️

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bring him round and Winston can sit on him until he gets used to the bangs :D