Fine Whip Rig Builders

Albert H

There's plenty of Pole rigs available online & in shops, but I've not seen any Whip rigs anywhere.

I currently build my own "Whip to hand" rigs in 2, 3, & 4 Metre lengths using 1ib mainline, hooklengths from 6 to 10 Oz (0.06mm), and size 22/24 hooks but I struggle with such fine lines at my age unless I build outdoors in good light.

Anyone on here that builds them or know anybody that does, please?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
just outta interest

What on earth are your quarry species, I fish to hand on many venues, but have never felt the need to use such light rigs

even on the hardest waters, 0.12 rig lines are the minimum I use, and that is rare, normally being 0.14 for general silvers work

whilst i can understand the use of far lighter hooklengths, the 1lb rig lines seem a bit fiddly

if you struggle tying light lines, hooklengths and rigs, get yourself a magnifying light, mine came from Argos, a present from the wench, they make life so much easier

its similar to this

Albert H

Where I fish the Whip there's mainly Roach from 1 to 3oz & Gudgeon, and I normally use Squat or Pinkie.

I don't struggle with seeing the lines of 1ib & upwards, but the 6 to 10oz line is like fine hair thickness and is fiddly to manipulate with my fingers.

I'm a bit hesitant to use higher breaking strain bottoms, because I once tried Maggot on an hooklength of about 1.5ib and something large nearly snapped my whip - or at least I thought it was going to.

I now plan on just using tiny baits like Squat & bit bashing at speed.

The bigger hooklength I prefer to use on the Pole which is obviously elasticated for larger fish.

Hope this makes sense.