fine wheather fishermen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada

brummie
did any other maggot drowners have the pleasure of fishing in that gale force wind on friday 28th december,in 15 years fishing I have never seen a wind like it,I had one eye on my float and one eye on the tree next to me that was lifting out of the ground!!I stuck it for 5 hours(longer than steve bruce has stayed at a football club)at least the small perch and roach played ball,I retired to the pub and a nice log fire thinking roll on the summer!!! fine wheather fishermen are clever not stupid!!!

daveh

There were 7 to 8 hardy anglers fished Jones Pit last week in Buckinghamshire.

P.S One was a lady DaveH

Edited by - daveh on 30 December 2001 11:00:58 PM

scouse

'River Man'
HI ADA
WENT OUT YESTERDAY IN THE SNOW AND WIND
DID NOT CATCH BUT WHAT THE HELL I LOVE FISHING
I FISH ALL THE YEAR ROUND SNOW, RAIN, WIND,
DOES NOT BOTHER ME IM IN LOVE WITH FISHING
TIGHTLINES DAVE(SCOUSE)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Ada,
Missed 28th, cos 27th was bad enough (couldnt hold my new pole due to the wind). Went to the Derwent today as my local lake is totally frozen over and whilst I can cope with Swans, sod Penguins!
Caught 2 Grayling and Lo & Behold,before Scotty Johns resolution for 2002, a new species for me. Still not sure what it is, but it was about 1.1" long, weighed all of 5 drams, looked like a minature Sea Monkfish, with eyes on top of head,massive mouth for its size, 2 paddle like fins sticking out sideways from flat belly,eel type joined tail/dorsal fin.
No joke lads ,it really was perfect condition and almost Tench Green colour on top,cream belly.
Is it a Bullhead as someone said,or some kind of loach?
Anyway, if we start a Maggotdrowners best species list, I'm claiming the record!
Wouldn't have had that experience if I waited for fine weather, so I'm with you boys.
PS any cure for frostbitten toes?
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like Grandad,not screaming in terror like his passengers!
Trev

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sounds like a Bullhead to me mate !!!!!!!!

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

scouse

'River Man'
HI ADA
UP NORTH ITS CALLED A MILLERS THUMB
IE ITS SHAPED LIKE ONE OR ANOTHER NAME IS STONE LOATCH
TIGHTLINES DAVE(SCOUSE)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ada, DaveH, Dave, Trev & Peter,

Maybe its my age or the fact that I'm getting a tad softer but with the present weather there no chance that I'll be out fishing for the next week or 2

Trev it sounds like a Bullhead or as sometimes known - a Millers Thumb

Look like this??

If anyone fancies starting a 'md's personal best list' get a list of species up and I'll knock something up.

Dave

scouse

'River Man'
HI DAVE
YOUR NOT GETTING OLD ARE YOU?
DO YOU WANT A HOT WATER BOTTLE AS WELL, (HEHE)
ONLY JOKING MATE
THAT WILL GIVE YOU TIME ON THIS GREAT WEB SITE
TIGHTLINES DAVE(SCOUSE)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Dave,

What do you mean , "want a hot water bottle" , I thought everyone had one not just me lol

Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
Thanks for the picture, Its damn close representation, but I thought the tail was more joined to the dorsal than shown. Colour top & bottom spot on, but the middle lighter distinction wasnt there,went green to cream in an instant.
Barbules more pronounced in Photo than I noticed.
RIGHT you fair weather men its 7.23 am on fri 6th, -6 degrees and now Im going to try and catch another and this time take a photo, Wish Id had camera before.
Wish me luck
(Im writing this in crayon as they don't allow me sharp things in here!)
Trev

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev

Not sure which part of the Derwent you went on mate but i have a few friends in the EA & (this is only a rumor you understand) they have been told of some catfish in the Derwent around the derbyshire area.

Apparently these are unwanted pets that were released into the river by someone who didn't realise that cats aren't native to britain (yeah sure) from whats been said the cats are breeding & it might just be possible that thats what you caught (i did say MIGHT BE POSSIBLE).

As for being a fine weather fisherperson
(don't wanna be sexist do we) i will fish in absolutley any weather except wind, rain, snow, ice & sleet LOL
Dian reckons my minds gone cos i went out in the height of winter 2000 for a few hours fishing & blanked but still went again the next day!! & no funny quips about my mind being gone for years cos i already know that (& apart from that you lot post on here as well)

Alan
You've just been moderated

Edited by - Trogg on 04 January 2002 10:53:10 AM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Troggy I think you could be right except this thing would only qualify as a baby kitten!
Fished the Caravan Park stretch today between Whatstandwell and Cromford just S.of Matlock, so the ares right. It adjoins the Derwent Arms stretch where I caught the wee thing.Both 2.50 day ticket waters though Ive only been approached by the Landladys father once in 3 visits at Derwent Arms stretch lol.
Failed miserably, with ice blocking up my rings on the stick rod and only 1 bite in the morning, from a decent fish, which pulled off 1/2 way across the river when my frozen fingers let the bale arm flick open and then snatch recovered!
However!!!! had a 1/2lb Rainbow at 3.10 pm on bomb and flake and as I paid my ticket at 8.05, I feel I can truly qualify as a Full Wheather Fisherman, Whether you spell Weather With an H or witout a H lol.
Packed up at 4 to get back in time for some Pinkies for tomorrow-GETTING WARMER AOL says!
My wife always says I must go twice to places, The 2nd time to apologise!
lotsa luck
Trev

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just had a phone call to tell me this weekends match on the Grand Union has been cancelled because of the ice!
I never realised we had so many Yorkshiremen in the club.......

Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
OK Ada, I give up, get me a pint in at the fireside table in the pub!

Set off this morning as per my promise last post (only I got the date wrong, today was the 5th & yesterday the 4th duh! my head hurts)
However, with AOL weather forecast and a fine little drizzle having cleared the snow residue I decided to switch to Press Manor Coarse Lake where Im a member and I could get my Krissy treat Pole out.
See, Im newly back to fishing and thought a Pole was a refugee claiming asylum for something that happened in Europe before even I was born!and a 13m line a mark on a bloody big ship!
Well, arriving at 8.00 am, in the gloom,with fading eyesight,drizzle and a head full of fridays Guinness, I was delighted to find I was 1st on the Lake.(Last too of course, but all will be revealed)
Like all converts, out came ,not 1 but 2 Poles, because by sods law,my carefully purchased Preston Cupping kit,fits my 12.5m Pole,but has no chance of fitting my new one and at 13m I need to know exactly,(to within 3mm if you read the comics) where my minute 4.5mm nugget of groundbait, 6 pinkies and 2 casters,are dropping in.Delighted to be back I said sod it and added some liquidised white bread, another expense at Xmas caused by my mag. reading and Having, just simply must Have a liquidiser! To this heady mixture I added some Swim Stoi carp pellets as you will understand a Sturgeon just may have escaped from the adjoing carp lake (well Bernie stocked 15 of them last year) and I keep catching things I cant name!
So, after 1&1/2 hours setting up all this essential gear, I was ready to feed the swim.
I was going for it big style as careful observation had shown that a line about 26 feet out (thats how 8metres translates to us oldies!)
was the line where the ice had finally given up to hopefully what is the last of its appearance this year.
I carefully shipped out the new pole to its full 13m and sat on the last 2" with it held deliberately high, so as not to disturb the swim and to somehow lower it to obtain a really accurate comparison of distance.
Then with baited pole pot in Pole 2,with baited breath in Zip 1 and with a hell of a lot of difficulty! (1055gm, just over 2 Christian lbs. weighs a hell of a lot at full stretch) I inched the mixture out.
With an almost Professionally negligent flick, I twisted the Pole AND successfully deposited my groundbait/feed offering slightly between 12.5 and 13m.
Where it lay in a neat 15" circle on the top of the 8" thick ice that was clearly defined as water on my arrival!
Yep, the clear line I could see was simply seperating one ice thickness from another!
However, I know know my distances and I only threw 1 Pole away!
To make matters worse, Bernie , the owner arrived and would not believe that I had only come to test these necessary distance calculations, muttered something that was about only azzholes setting up baitstands,top section rests and mixing groundbait to find distances. At least I think that was what he said, mumbles a lot when he's laughing!
So, sadder,wiser and packed up by 12.00, I regretfully took 1 last look at the ,really quite beautifuly neat circle on the ice at 12.5m (if I hadnt have used the liquidised white bread, I might have got away with it,but white shows up so much on dark ice)I set off thinking bad thoughts about fair w(h)eather fishermen.
I hope the pub has a quiet corner Ada, cos I am trying to write a book based on my visit to Troggs Izaak Walton fish-in.
Based on the great mans book, I'm going to title it 'The Compleat Incompetent'
But! Zippy'll be out tomorrow!there!
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing their's,get someone to tell you WTF's going on!
Trev

Cyprinid_boy

Well Trogg,
If your friends in the EA have their way all those pesky, maniac breeding, non-indigenous catfish will be caught and hauled up in front of the kangaroo court. Full conviction and public slaughter is the only answer. At a local water to me the EA area fisheries officer, who shall remain nameless, proceeded to tell the anglers, including those fishing for catties, that if they caught a cat they would have to kill it immediately. Very public spirited of him dont you think. The only humorous side to this comment is that he was chased down the bank by a hairy 20 stone catfish angler branding a bank stick. He never caught him though (the story even had a sad ending).

Cyp.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think you've misunderstood mate.

The lads in the EA i speak to are all anglers & as such wouldn't dream of killing summat as stunning as a moggie (whatever its size).

You say an EA officer told you/ your friends to kill any moggies you catch.

Is the water you were fishing an open/main waterway?
If not then the next time you see this "official" tell him to ,,,er,,erm,,errrr oh soddit whats the word??? ahh yeah thats it GO AWAY because their own regulations on the stocking of silurus glanis (wels, danubian or european catfish) state that it is ok in waters not connected to main/open waterways.

Alan
You've just been moderated

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Alan,
Unlike the Derwent as you pointed out to me, just happening to be connected to the Trent , the UK mainlands 3rd biggest river behind the Severn and the Thames!
Where does it end?
Hope the Cormorants get em!
Trev

Status
Not open for further replies.