Filming matches!

I am thinking about recording my matches, not expecting to become the next youtube sensation or anything like that, just something i wanted to try. There are that many on the market ranging from £50 to £400, i would imagine you get what you pay for with camera but was curious to see what other people were using?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Most folks use their phones initially then move on to a go pro later. Check out the stuff by Danny or Jon Arthur on youtube as they have it sorted using both these methods

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Mine records in HD (better detail). Ideally one with an external mic input (with some camcorders the internal mic picks up wind noise and any audio is ruined) An external clip-on mic helps (wireless if possible and if the camcorder accepts it), plenty of spare batteries (fully charged), a UV filter to help cut glare from the sun on the water. I found a tripod a bit bulky and awkward to place so bought an adaptor that goes on any bank stick (the adaptor also takes stills cameras, £1.00 off eBay).
Mine has a built-in 160gig hard drive and can also record to a card. As you say, it's a minefield out there as to prices but I got mine 2nd hand from Gumtree and it works a treat. A Go-Pro or similar will also do what you want and can be mounted practically anywhere. My mate mounts his on his bait tray.

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

Site Supporter
In general, Go Pro is the kit to use. They generally have something for most price brackets. They also do their own editing software, which is considerably simpler than using something like Adobe’s Premier Pro. I say Go-Pro as they are probably one of the biggest and best known brands of what are referred to as ‘action cameras’ (or disposables in my trade), and as such there’s a massive amount of own brand and OEM versions of mountings and supports available. There’s virtually nothing that a GP can’t be attached to.

As UKZero says above, a Lapel / Lavalier Mic is useful. Get a pop shield / wind baffle for it too though. You’d be amazed at the difference it makes. Amazon product
Best

Smiffy

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

Site Supporter
A further thought. If using multiple cameras, then you’ll want to look at a system that can timecode-lock (or genlock) making it easier to share an audio track (ie you speaking) and share to a multi-camera setup maintaining lip sync.