Film reviews

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone write them? How much credence do you give to them? Do you prefer 'user' reviews such as on IMDB or professional critic reviews? Are the overall ratings important to you or do you just watch based on what you think it will be like?

Feel free to review a film in this thread if you want.

Robwooly

Are you talking about the star rating? I couldn't imagine reading a film review without getting a whole heap of spoilers coming my way. Be like reading a James Bond thread :LOL:

As for leaving reviews most films are leaving me flat nowadays, mostly blatant sequel rip offs, seems the brain drain is going towards box sets, If there's five films that come out this year that are worth comparing to the greats I will be very surprised

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah the star rating on IMDB and I also go by the amount of votes it has got too to tell me how many people have voted for it as I find with a lot of art house films they will have a high rating for comparatively few votes, so basically just a hardcore of foreign film watchers that will rate it highly because it's foreign and art house, and then I watch it and it's not to my taste. Some of the older Hollywood films will also have few votes but a lower rating and then I watch it and find it more to my taste.

I agree about new films though, I very rarely even give them a chance anymore but am slowly running out of old films to watch as I must have surpassed 3000 films now in about 10 years of watching them regularly.

Robwooly

The star rating is a bit vague, I can't recall what platform I was viewing on but It gave Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull a really high rating, along with something else which I thought wtf. Not quite sure who is dong the votes, I'd take them with a pinch of salt and be prepared to write of a couple of hours of your life, at he end of the day it's a better punt than whats on terrestrial telly

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've not seen that, at least not seen an Indiana Jones film since I was a kid, but I generally think the IMDB top 250 is just bizarre! There's better lists out there for people to use as a guide. Roger Ebert was always my favourite critic. I watched Fitzcarraldo last night, the full version is on YouTube with English dubbing, seen it before but it was better than I remembered. I'd be willing to give that a review myself, the kind I used to write.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Haha. Almost. See post 5. Watching The Shootist tonight. Might get back with a review but I am rusty on Westerns compared to what you mention.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I don’t read them or read them. I watch and either enjoy or don’t. While listening to the radio the other day someone’s recommendation was “pig” starring Nick cage. The other night I flicked sky movies on and saw it. Wife said let’s watch pig it’s highly rated on the radio plus it gets a few stars on the sky rating. Two days later and I’m still trying to work out the point of the film, I just didn’t get it.

squimp

Site Supporter
Haha. Almost. See post 5. Watching The Shootist tonight. Might get back with a review but I am rusty on Westerns compared to what you mention.
Here’s a review of ‘The Shootist’.

It’s really good.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I see Bruce Willis has been nominated for a Razzie as worst actor in a special category containing just the eight films of his released last year.

I admit to not being much of a film watcher. But I will make my own mind up and not take notice of reviews. Very few of the new releases of the last few years would get more than one or two stars from me I'm afraid. Probably the worst was the remake of David Copperfield. I actually paid to go to the cinema and nearly walked out halfway through.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's nothing to do with the quality of the film that I fell asleep. I do it for a lot of films as it's my way of watching them, in bed. I'll watch the second half tonight. I noticed at the start of the film, Dino De Laurentiis name in the credits, he's one of the most famous film producers but there's still a lot of his films on this list I haven't seen. I always thought my YouTube alias, Dick Laurent from the film Lost Highway, was named in that film as a reference to him.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Went to see Top Gun Maverick last night, just wow, absolutely loved it the, the storyline was good and some great link backs to the first film. The flight sequences were just awesome, ok some of it was cgi but it was believable. The only part I did find a chuckle and reminded of the a team, was the enemy having a destroyed runway and handily they had a fuelled up f14 sat conviently connected to a compressor that worked as well, so it was just right ready to steal. But once airborne you could forgive that as well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like the original Top Gun so would consider the new one, lot of respect for Tom Cruise as an actor.

Was chatting to my brother in law about films I haven't seen and we came up with Cool Hand Luke, a film he told me always used to be on telly and he was surprised I haven't seen, so we're going to watch that tonight. Everyone seen it?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'll look out for it. My other recommendation to them for a prison film to watch was A Man Escaped 1956, the French film, but it's probably even more art house than I remember so not worth it.

Novice937

Not sure about reviews but if a film is 'tipped for Best Picture at the Oscars' they are genuinely a right bag of spanners for me.
Some exceptions but they are few and far between.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never read reviews, I just find that some of the reviewers try to find too much in an actors role in a film and ramble on ad infinitum.

I put a film on and if I can get through the first half an hour and not turn it off I rate it as good. Not many films get that rating, I must go though 4 films a night but only see one to the end!!!!