Film Canister Bait Dropper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just had a little play in my garage and made a dropper for tomorrow from a Film Canister, the type that you get 35mm film in

Datafile2.jpg

Just got the idea whilst sorting my tackle out. Bearing in mind that it's supposed to be cold and the fish might need a bit of temptation in order to get them to feed and it is pretty hard to feed a couple of maggots at a time regularly at range.

Heres how:

1) Get a film case
2) Drill a series of 3mm holes in the bottom
3) Remove the lid and cut a couple of small slots across from each other slightly narrower than the diameter at the tip of your pole. Make sure that the slot is deep enough so you can put the lid back on.

Anyway the basic idea is that I'll fill the canistor with maggots, twist the pole so that the holes are at the top whilst shipping out.
Twist it back so the holes are at the bottom and the maggots can slowly dribble out over my float

I'll let you know if it works [8D]

- "Get the man a Blue Peter Badge" lol
He`ll do anything to save a couple of quid!!
Dave Datafile2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
i do the same
but i use a old shallow
plastic shot dispenser
it works but i will give yours a go,
the secret it out nowdelete now
before anybody else sees it LOL[:D]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
TOO LATE [:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

Dave,

Much prefer the kinder Egg way as it's got 2 Bonuses,[;)][;)]

Firstly you get to eat the chocolate[:D]
Secondly if the fishing is realy slow then you got the toy to build as well [:D][:D]

Stick to the Kinder Egg just put holes in the top half rather than using just half of the shell, (it's also lighter than the cannister).

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Polepot

Poles
Malc,

Not all of us look like escapee's from Biafra LOL.
If you can't eat sweets or do not want to get any bigger then Kinders are out.

Dave,

Great idea - I'll be trying it soon.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tried it today and it worked well once the holes were enlarged. 3mm may be fine in summer but the maggots weren't wriggling much so I cut a slot across the bottom to let them find their way out easier.

Didn't get a bite though on pole but that's beside the point, lol
Managed one bite for one fish on feeder and pulled out of it half way in but as the great poet larriet said (related to the other one[:)])

"It's better to have hooked and lost
than never to have hooked at all"

Dave

MrC

Heres a question for you, often wondered what people do if you ship out with a full pot of maggots and get a fish on straight away? (not that this ever happends to me.!) surely your going to have maggots all over your swim if you then try and bring the fish in.?? what do you do.?

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Thats a good question that! i often wondered what would happen if you hooked a fish straight away when using a pole pot? surely your bait would go everywhere or even the pot would come off!

Tight lines [:D]

scouse

'River Man'
hi mr c
clip your hook up then ship out with pole
pot if you want a drip feed
you cant put maggots everywere
as you have a lid on[;)]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi MrC,

You could twist the pole so that the holes are at the top and then they shouldn't escape.
If you find that you are taking bites on the drop or straight away, I'd use a catapult rather than a pot to put loose in [:)]

Dave

MrC

Thats what i thought. I dont see the point in using these in the summer and often see match fisherman using them on commercial waters, try keeping a pole pot where you want it when you've got a 6lb carp on a mission. Having said this i can see the advantages of having a "lid" version with only half a dozen maggots in it during the colder months, then if you do spill once you have hooked a fish it wont matter too much, but i will stick to the catapult me thinks in the warmer months. Mal (MrC)

Status
Not open for further replies.