Fighting fish on a pole

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not quite proper pole fishing but I am currently assembling some whip gear with possibly a short pole to follow. Was a teenager last time I fished without a rod and reel but do recall a lot of steering fish this way and that way whilst looking nervously at a bent flick tip or seemingly miles of elastic! I'll never be converted from being a primary rod and reel angler but I am looking forward to having a go at the dark side on certain venues 😉 Biggest skill so far has been trying to figure out the floats as they seem much more complicated than sticks and wagglers 😅

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This took some getting in on the creaky old pole fishing next to rushes. Big old Carp in this lake. Pole enables you to fish right up to snags but then you have to get them out. Browning Access Berylium 16m pole.

bigcarp.jpg

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It certainly does Mick and I have often had to clench up (buttock wise) this was my point, with a pole you can do little more than hang on.😜
You can add sections ,take them off ,put pole under water to slow runs ,lift pole up ,follow fish or with a strong pole or elastic virtually stop its run immediately 😇😇😇😇 the operator is the reel lol

robert d

Site Supporter
You can add sections ,take them off ,put pole under water to slow runs ,lift pole up ,follow fish or with a strong pole or elastic virtually stop its run immediately 😇😇😇😇 the operator is the reel lol
Not that im getting the chance of any decent fish ,all im doing is tidler bashing at the moment,

robert d

Site Supporter
I was just using the pole ,trying at different lengths ,shipping in and out ,feeding the fish to ,next time il put a rig on as i think that might help 😅 😬 🥰
It was a really bad peg in my defence, the tackle shop call it sheeety corner , but my technique could have been better fir sure ,i need to go back to basics . Operator is failing lol

Total

Site Supporter
It was a really bad peg in my defence, the tackle shop call it sheeety corner , but my technique could have been better fir sure ,i need to go back to basics . Operator is failing lol
Bob, Most of us can be 'Bob Nudd's' in half decent pegs....(y) It's what we do with least decent pegs where the challenge really comes....(y)

Some days virtually nothing is possible.....It is what it is, and as long as I can walk away knowing I've give it my best shot, that's the end of it....Next match, new start..........;).....

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I had to fish at around 10 o'clock from the bank, it was the only way I could present a bait properly. Wind blowing from right to left...it was like the North Sea at times. I stayed at topkit plus two all day. Had a quick go shallow & a dabble in the margins but not a bite.

Line Clip

Perhaps, but I have not used a clutch on a reel since Ivan Marks explained that he only played a fish using backwind. That had to be the 70s. If it was good enough for Ivan then as a youngster I had to follow suit.
If Ivan Marks was to have been able to use a half decent 2021 reel he would use the clutch
today's reels have superb clutches far better than back winding , ask Mr Ringer a current angler.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If Ivan Marks was to have been able to use a half decent 2021 reel he would use the clutch
today's reels have superb clutches far better than back winding , ask Mr Ringer a current angler.
I wouldn't be so sure if he was using a very light float rod with light hooklengths. Maybe if using a high end reel yes but with the sort of reels most us mere mortals use you have to set them mega light to engage properly on very light rod so then have little control. Back winding by contrast you decide when and when not to give line so is much safer in a lot of people's opinions. Only for light float rods with light line though. I don't think it matters so much with heavier gear as there's less danger of anything breaking and there's more resistance in the rod for the clutch to engage against so you don't have to set it so light for it to engage smoothly.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I tend to agree with Dave in the sense with a very light bottom like 2lb, it takes a lot of skill to land a fish like a barbel, carp ,tench. You have to know what you're doing and the precise way that your gear works. I only use a clutch when fishing, it's simply the way I was brought up, and its what you pay all that money for right? I'm new to pole fishing (two full seasons) but I lose far less carp than when fishing with a rod and reel, it seems the elastic does most of the work and provided that's all matched up at the start, and its not a line bite the playing and landing is pretty much done for you. That should not take away any of the fun or sport, I love the pole and how its works. But maybe some want to see it as some Heroic Viking, he man ritual you're not allowed to criticise in any way. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just chill out and enjoy what you doing, its not pole against rod, its man against fish!:love:

Total

Site Supporter
For the record, Mr Ringer (Steve) is an advocate of backwinding....(y)

Line Clip

I wouldn't be so sure if he was using a very light float rod with light hooklengths. Maybe if using a high end reel yes but with the sort of reels most us mere mortals use you have to set them mega light to engage properly on very light rod so then have little control. Back winding by contrast you decide when and when not to give line so is much safer in a lot of people's opinions. Only for light float rods with light line though. I don't think it matters so much with heavier gear as there's less danger of anything breaking and there's more resistance in the rod for the clutch to engage against so you don't have to set it so light for it to engage smoothly.
Daiwa TDR QUICK DRAG clutch is as smooth as silk, back winding can that be done as smooth, have my doubts .

Rick123

Site Supporter
I feel you have to take something away from each visit, its never the fishes fault they don't get caught is it. I always analyse (or try to) what I did wrong and what I could have done better, I'm sure its something all decent anglers try and do anyway.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If the owners of the shop call it sheety corner, why is it pegged?