Fighting fish on a pole

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have been a pole angler for over 20 years and it still makes me chuckle when people talking about the fight from a good fish. Break down to the top 2 and hang on, the elastic does the fighting not the angler. Catching a good fish on rod and light line however, takes real skill.😁

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
so when you have 6 sections of pole out loaded with a light elastic, and the poles bending with the struggle of the fish to escape, and your blindly scrabbling behind you with your free hand for more sections

that does not make you brown star pucker and get the old adrenalin going then ?

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
so when you have 6 sections of pole out loaded with a light elastic, and the poles bending with the struggle of the fish to escape, and your blindly scrabbling behind you with your free hand for more sections

that does not make you brown star pucker and get the old adrenalin going then ?
It certainly does Mick and I have often had to clench up (buttock wise) this was my point, with a pole you can do little more than hang on.😜

Arch

Site Supporter
This is an interesting topic. Before shallow venues came about, and pullers were invented it was a different ball game. I used to fish deep rivers where top 5s were the order of the day. A different technique was required. Sometimes if a big fish was hooked a top7 maybe required to land them. What with shallow venues where the fish can't dive down deep and only swim out or to the side, shipping back and letting the elastic do the work is the better way.

IMHO.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
so what else do you do extra with a rod and reel, apart from giving or reeling in line, ?
That is it exactly Mick, you can give and take line. I once wrote about catching my best ever Tench on an estate lake. I would not have got these fish out on the pole.

I am not being critical of the pole, as I said, I have been a pole angler for over 20 years and it is still my weapon of choice in a match.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is part of what makes me loathe to spend a load of money on a new pole. I'd probably fish the pole more if I bought one, but I don't see it as a necessity for pleasure fishing.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
It certainly does Mick and I have often had to clench up (buttock wise) this was my point, with a pole you can do little more than hang on.😜
Sorry Dave, there is more you can do. There are techniques for controlling a running or large fish on the pole.

But this may be why I get on with heavy elastics and small, 2oz, fish. I don't just hang on and let the elastic do the work.

I have been fishing the pole for near 50 years. Stick with it and you will learn eventually. :)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Rod and reel? Don't you just set the clutch and wind letting the rod and line take the strain? Just saying🤣
Perhaps, but I have not used a clutch on a reel since Ivan Marks explained that he only played a fish using backwind. That had to be the 70s. If it was good enough for Ivan then as a youngster I had to follow suit.

Total

Site Supporter
I have been a pole angler for over 20 years and it still makes me chuckle when people talking about the fight from a good fish. Break down to the top 2 and hang on, the elastic does the fighting not the angler. Catching a good fish on rod and light line however, takes real skill.😁
^^ :oops:......Have you been sniffing that WD40 again Mr Spence?:unsure:;):ROFLMAO:

tincatim

Site Supporter
It’s been a while since I’ve used a pole, but there’s still plenty of skill and technique in landing big fish. Especially if your elastic isn’t strong. Having a carp take off when you’re down to your top kit takes some quick thinking to get it back under control.

I do miss having a pole, but I am enjoying this last year fishing solely rod and reel. Like Neil, I’ve never used the clutch and prefer to back wind. The fight feels better to me on a rod, especially with balanced tackle. You feel better connected to the fish.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
C
Sorry Dave, there is more you can do. There are techniques for controlling a running or large fish on the pole.

But this may be why I get on with heavy elastics and small, 2oz, fish. I don't just hang on and let the elastic do the work.

I have been fishing the pole for near 50 years. Stick with it and you will learn eventually. :)
Cheeky sod😝. My point is that you have more control with rod and reel. Once your elastic has bottomed and you have no more sections, it's bye bye rig or broken section.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
My first pole was a Daiwa glass one, complete with shepherds crook, probably early eighties.