Feeding worms

AdeB

Site Supporter
As they are expensive to buy I am trying to keep some leftover worms alive. I know vegetable peelings can be fed to them, what else should I give them?. I normally open used teabags and put that in the bait box for moisture. What do you guys do?

Ant_courtney

I hear they like caviar and expensive truffles....:ROFLMAO: but on a serious note yes...mashed potato is what I always use.

Maidstone1922

I found a good video on making a wormery on YouTube . This one was by a chap from Brum, but there are many. I’ll have a gander for the link.

Thinking that now I have a garage and with the expense of worms I should get cracking on one.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Lots of great info on everything you need in previous threads on here if you do a search.
And at the bottom of each thread it does it for you
1566299484516.png

John Step

Site Supporter
Worms all year round if you have a piece of garden to spare the size of a dustbin.
Buy a plastic dustbin preferably with a clip on the lid to stop it blowing off in the wind.
Cut off the base. Under the lid lip drill a series of small holes round the circumference for ventilation. Small to stop slugs getting in to breed unless you are a chubber!
Dig a hole and sink the bin so that the ventilation holes stand proud by 3 or 4 inches.
Put a few inches of gravel in the bottom of the now sunken bin without a base for drainage.

Start putting uncooked kitchen waste in. A bag of farm manure kick starts the wormery off well.
Get some red worms from a muck heap and tip in. They breed very quickly.
KEEP feeding regularly with stuff like peelings but NOT orange peelings.

The idea of the sunken bin is that the extremes of heat or cold is vastly minimised and its very rare not to have worms available.
In very cold conditions some bubble wrap or old sacking or piece of rug or similar can be spread under the lid on top of the worms to keep them available.

It will only need digging out and refreshing every couple of years.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Yep mashed potato with NO BUTTER OR MILK. Just mashed tatties.?
Any veg waste can be put through a hand mincer, or chop up finely.