Feeding off silvers?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going Hurst Farm tomorrow. I've been on about the venue before so some will already know, but it's absolutely chock full of Roach and Perch, decent size, but underneath them are Crucians (and Goldfish - they're often not the prettiest Crucians I've seen as a result). How would you go about targeting the Crucians?

Have tried a few different baits there. What I plan to do, as I have 2 pints of casters and 2 of maggots going spare, is to feed a separate line with those, and then feed pellet and corn on a different line. Hopefully the Crucians will appreciate it, but will it work?

I don't reckon it will, there's King Carp in there too, can easily catch more of those and they don't half go.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Have thought about chucking a method feeder down the edge but I reckon the Roach would just demolish it.

solwood

Site Supporter
Harris has a good head of roach and rudd,fishing method and wafter I rarely catch them, try fake caster banded on the method

float corn or meat i catch a few. Maggot or caster a lot

nejohn

Site Supporter
I fish a water that has some nice Crucians and some tench but also millions of small Rudd and Perch, if they can get the bait in their mouths you will catch nothing but bits (the perch even take sweetcorn). I have found one of the best ways of avoiding them is to float fish a piece of bread flake about the size of a 10p piece. You have to sit on your hands and wait for the sail away bite as you get lots of small dips as the Rudd attack the bread . Nice way of fishing also

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Yesterday our swim was chock full of small roach and rudd - I could have put 2 gallons of maggots in and wouldn’t have fed them off.

Instead I fished for the roach loosefeeding small amounts of maggot with maggot on the hook whilst feeding small balls of over wetted 2mm & 4mm pellets along with sloppy Supercrush Expander groundbait.

Effectively this drew the roach right up to the surface layer - easily seen clearing out the loosefed maggots as soon as they landed but the carp were very evident sifting the bottom for the pellets (silt clouds).

Every so often I switched from maggot on the hook catching roach to banded 6mm fluoro wafter and that was too much for the roach but perfect for the carp. Expanders just got bitted out.

Instead of wafter for crucians you could substitute your preferred bait.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
One of our waters is festooned with small rudd. One of the long standing committee members told me that they don't like hard pellets & ever since, I've always loose fed hard 4mm pellets & fished a 6mm on the hook although I will sometimes try corn or 6mm expander. Also - make sure the shot is well bulked towards the hook & make sure any loose feed such as micros or g/bait is solid enough to sink quickly. It has worked to be fair.
I think you're asking for trouble, feeding maggots.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for all tips. Not sure what I'll end up doing today but looking forward to it. Can always just fish for the Roach, they're a decent size 6oz+ average, and I've had my best bags of them on expanders (my ones from a car boot seem to sink very slowly, you could say, 'float') and I rarely fish maggot because of the amount of Perch.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ended up fishing one line on Corn and one line on Pellets. Stayed on Corn for most of the day and didn't do too good. Was in the wrong area of the lake was my excuse. :LOL: Put a maggot on and you have a Perch before it reaches the bottom though, absolutely phenomenally solid with them. Perch and Roach bags would win any match fished there. Going back with my uncle this week hopefully though. It made me laugh last time I went, there were just a couple of other anglers on the lake who were staying at the cottages. They tried meat and it was being savaged by the Perch in there, so went on to Boilies (not sure of size but looked 15mm) and were still catching Roach. The one of them did have 5 or so nice Carp though.

tysontim

Site Supporter
Fish with a bulk rig and feed ground bait that is quite wet with a few loose offerings in it.
Then feed a throw away line a bit further from the line that you are actually going to fish, this should help keep the nuisance fish away from your main catch area.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm definitely going to try groundbait there next time I go. For some reason I haven't tried it there yet but it is allowed.

Cuprajake

Last year our local water was full of small fish, if you fished maggot, casters worm you got a roach a cast.

So much so that I moved to pellets and corn this yr, problem now is the roach are taking 4mm, 6mm pellets.

Nightmare

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Going to Bridgnorth Zerks and fishing a lake, what does this mean please mate? I know our location situations are different of course, but that just doesn't compute:unsure:

Re your question though, bit like smiffy said really, bit mythical, but i think the crucians will like the dinner if presented delicately enough, dot it down.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
6oz roach, you only need a hundred for 40lb or so, what more could you wish for?(y)
Most I had was 120 and I called that an easy 40lb+, had those on 4mm expander feeding skrettings. It's good stuff but sometimes I feel like catching the Crucians and Goldfish.

Going to Bridgnorth Zerks and fishing a lake, what does this mean please mate? I know our location situations are different of course, but that just doesn't compute:unsure:

Re your question though, bit like smiffy said really, bit mythical, but i think the crucians will like the dinner if presented delicately enough, dot it down.
:LOL: It's only 20 or so minutes from me, so this is just back up for the when the rivers too low or close season, and to give me a bit of variety.

Hardly anyone fishes here though, it's down a 2 mile track with about 5 passing points for one.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
We have the same here in lincs mate. I fish 6mm hard pellet and feed casters or 4mm pellet. This can lead to the target fish coming shallow. The crucians, and in our case f1 carp hang themselves

Attachments

• 20220803_144624.jpg
    20220803_144624.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 6