Feeding a lake - advice?

RiverRunt

Been putting a bit of feed into a smallish (3 acre) local lake over the winter months, though its been very sporadic lately due to ice etc, which leads nicely to the question.
The lake concerned is a mixed fishery, with a few larger carp, but mostly a mixture of everything you would expect, except pike. It's a confirmed fact that there is never much natural food in the lake, even in summer, despite abundant weed growth - even the EA are scratching their heads about why this should be, with the working hypothesis being that what IS produced is quickly eaten by the resident fish, before it gets chance to multiply and become more plentiful.
What has been going in, when water temps are not too cold, is mostly grain based - corn etc boiled up, laced with cooked maize, and mixed with any leftover bait / pellets etc immediately before being fed, and the fish seem to clear it.
Usually this is cooked up as a large batch, and will go into the lake over the next few days, but with so much ice, a recent batch has been sat in a cold garage, not much above zero, for nigh-on 3 weeks now, and is now starting to ferment - nothing dramatic (actually smells quite nice!) - and definitely NOT going mouldy etc just yet.
So - do I feed this into the lake, or dump it? With the exception of the perch in there (that eat everything else!), all species will normally feed on this stuff, and I think I recall reading somewhere that its intentionally done by some anglers (letting it ferment like this) before being used as a feed or hookbait.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
They'll still eat it, i had a 4 days old method mix that started smelling a little boozy and caught better on it than i did when it was fresh, as long as there's no known danger to the fish i say chuck it in (y)

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I'd use wheat. 1 pint will turn into 3 pints. Soak your wheat for 24hrs in cold water. Then put into a portable drinks cooler.
Add crushed star anise, vanilla & almond liquid extract, curry powder and garam masala. Then pour boiling water over to cover the lot. Put the lid on and leave for 24hrs. You could put soaked corn & maize in too. Everything will mop it up :upthumb:

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
You could also liquidize cheap white bread after 3 days and put the above additives in and grated chocolate for the Roach.
It's not all about shop bought groundbait.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of my mates, a carper of some reknown, swore by fermented grains as a feed

hemp, corn, etc, on some days him and his mates would feed dustbin fulls of feed over certain bars and other spots

they would row out by boat and just damn near empty the stuff over the side

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
In weather like this, I tend to mix my groundbait with Red Bull. I also wet my pellets in it.

rudd

Site Supporter
Been putting a bit of feed into a smallish (3 acre) local lake over the winter months, though its been very sporadic lately due to ice etc, which leads nicely to the question.
The lake concerned is a mixed fishery, with a few larger carp, but mostly a mixture of everything you would expect, except pike. It's a confirmed fact that there is never much natural food in the lake, even in summer, despite abundant weed growth - even the EA are scratching their heads about why this should be, with the working hypothesis being that what IS produced is quickly eaten by the resident fish, before it gets chance to multiply and become more plentiful.
What has been going in, when water temps are not too cold, is mostly grain based - corn etc boiled up, laced with cooked maize, and mixed with any leftover bait / pellets etc immediately before being fed, and the fish seem to clear it.
Usually this is cooked up as a large batch, and will go into the lake over the next few days, but with so much ice, a recent batch has been sat in a cold garage, not much above zero, for nigh-on 3 weeks now, and is now starting to ferment - nothing dramatic (actually smells quite nice!) - and definitely NOT going mouldy etc just yet.
So - do I feed this into the lake, or dump it? With the exception of the perch in there (that eat everything else!), all species will normally feed on this stuff, and I think I recall reading somewhere that its intentionally done by some anglers (letting it ferment like this) before being used as a feed or hookbait.
Fermented bait will be fine. Some baits such as partiblend, tiger nuts and maple peas are left to ferment to get the natural sugars released - fish love sweet baits (apart from predators).

grey

Site Supporter
I regularly ferment sweetcorn for bait - it keeps for years!

Fermentation removes the natural sugars from the mix and makes it sour. I add a dollop of molasses to sweeten because it's cheap.

So if the mix is smelling a little 'boozy', just add a bit of sugar to compensate.