Feeder weight ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
After reading the Feeder choice thread

Ive got a query ?

I dont fish the feeder much on still waters, using it mainly as a tactic on the river, on which I have no probs

My awkwardness with it on a pond, lake et al stems from I want to tighten the line between the rod tip and the feeder, just a tad of a bend at the end of the carbon like,

now,I own feeders of various types, method, hybid, cage, crumb, and maggot, all of these come in different weights of between 10 gramme to 30 gramme ( stillwater only)

I have a problem in getting tension on the line when using them on a lake on anything less than the 25-30 gramme feeders, more often than not moving the feeder when doing so and buggering up the hookbait over the fed area,

any tips for one who ends up frustrated and throwing the rod up the bank

rods are mainly 11ft commie type feeders with various tip strengths to around 2oz, mono lines, and distances of 30 to 40 yard

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve often wondered about that as well. I can pull a bend into the rod with as little as a 15g feeder on rivers at times yet from my one experience of Stillwater feeder fishing I had to be really careful tightening up to a 20g feeder so to not move it too much.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
For 15-20g feeders I find i need to use a half ounce tip to get a proper bend. Can be an arse fishing on a slope as even a half ounce can end up moving the feeder.

I find using 25-30g and stepping up to 0.75-1oz tip is a nice balance too.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I don't have a problem but I use the lightest carbon tip in a 9 ft rod , but I only like it to bend enough so I can see dropbacks.
I do not have the line at 90 deg to the rod , I tend to to have it 45-20 deg.
A feeder with a flat bed will help. On a slope you may need more than 15g.
If you cast out with an empty feeder and hold the rod high drag the feeder 12" then tighten up. if the tip moves 12" then its flat
any more you have probably dropped it down a shelf / slope.
I can get a bend in mine with a 6g bomb.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Don’t get too obsessed with having tension or bend in the tip. 30g is a good weight to tighten up to without moving the feeder. Just tighten up so you see the tip start to bend against the feeder rather than any bow or slack line you’ve got. Keep giving it tiny little adjustment until you’re confident you are tightening to the feeder. Then leave it👍 Any tow will do the rest for you and nearly all drop backs are preceded by a good tug,then you will notice slack line hanging of your rod tip.
As has been said a lighter feeder means a lighter tip. 1oz tips are good but I go down to .75 to 0.5oz.

Last edited:

Marker50

Site Supporter
Can you move the feeder before a bow goes strate.
Can you move the feeder sinking the line while taking up slack from hitting clip above you

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
After reading the Feeder choice thread

Ive got a query ?

I dont fish the feeder much on still waters, using it mainly as a tactic on the river, on which I have no probs

My awkwardness with it on a pond, lake et al stems from I want to tighten the line between the rod tip and the feeder, just a tad of a bend at the end of the carbon like,

now,I own feeders of various types, method, hybid, cage, crumb, and maggot, all of these come in different weights of between 10 gramme to 30 gramme ( stillwater only)

I have a problem in getting tension on the line when using them on a lake on anything less than the 25-30 gramme feeders, more often than not moving the feeder when doing so and buggering up the hookbait over the fed area,

any tips for one who ends up frustrated and throwing the rod up the bank

rods are mainly 11ft commie type feeders with various tip strengths to around 2oz, mono lines, and distances of 30 to 40 yard
I find immediately after i cast and the feeder is in the water if i keep the rod low and pull on the line gently and hold it until all the line has sunk then place in the rest ,i just turn the real handle gently until i get a slight bend . It works for me

Marker50

Site Supporter
Cheers.
I end up with loads after hitting clip to gently tighten up by hand .
Then have to reel slack up

robert d

Site Supporter
Cheers.
I end up with loads after hitting clip to gently tighten up by hand .
Then have to reel slack up
I have my setup like Tommy Pickering ,the feeder arm almost against the bank so usually not much slack to take up

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I fish a silty shallow park lake with a 7g feeder fishing for skimmers and I can see the line tightening to the rod regardless of what weight of tip I have on. Watching the line is key even with a relatively slack line. It is easy to spot bites especially when the wind is not too fierce and even easier if you use braid. you can see the line sinking all the way back to the rod and you can spot bites even before you 'tighten' up.

robert d

Site Supporter
Same here.do you hit clip then lower rop strate down to your side.
Yes , knock bail arm over ,sometimes 1 or 2 winds ,pull line a little until all the line is sunk ,then just turn reel handle really gently to get a slight bend .

Marker50

Site Supporter
Do you think it is posible to move feeder while there is any line still floating when you are sinking the line

robert d

Site Supporter
Do you think it is posible to move feeder while there is any line still floating when you are sinking the line
Not really ,just take up the slack gently by reeling if you have a bit much slack after cast ,then pull the line to the side gently ,you can feel a little tension but not much and when the line has all sunk just another gentle movement on the reel arm to put just a slight bend in the rod . You wont move the feeder that way . You know if you have it right because if you pull on the line and its not sinking there is to much slack ,if you pull and there is a lot of tension you can move the feeder. You only need a little tension ,if you pull the line as soon as you feel that tension stop pulling ,just hold the line ,then in a few seconds the line is sunk ,then put rod in the rest . I will say also im holding the rod close to the rest whilst i pull on the line to sink it as you dont want to move the rod much at all when you put it in the rest ,if you do you can move the feeder .

smiffy

Site Supporter
Little tip. A lot of people will tell you to hold the rod up in the air as you hit the clip. Many anglers,including myself cast,and as the feeder is about to hit the clip, move the rod tip low, just hovering over the top of your feeder rest. You won’t get a massive bow that you then need to sink. As the feeder hits the clip dip the rod tip underwater, give it a sharp flick upward, this sinks the line allowing you to tighten up much quicker and spot bites on the drop. By all means hold the rod up on rivers because you want that bow but the same bow can mean messing about for quite awhile,especially in a decent breeze. Try it.You might not take to it but with a bit of practice it’s far more efficient on lakes than holding the rod above your head.
Using too heavy a tip with a light feeder can result in the feeder moving on tightening up. More often at range and using Carbon tips. I only ever use glass tips on stillwaters.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I buy a lot of Guru Distance cage feeders and they come with a 20g and 30g in a packet. I only use the 20g feeders at close range despite saying Distance on the pack and haven’t noticed a problem, it’s the lightest I go with feeders and use up to a 2oz tip.