Feeder tips

TimR

To remove tip rings just heat gently a tiny bit at a time (all around the barrel) with a cigarette lighter. The carbon will melt if you overdo it so be careful and have a pair of pliers at hand to pull the ring off after each 2-4 seconds of heat. I use
Araldite to glue it back on again. I've perhaps made it sound more difficult and more worrying than it is. I've removed several hundreds (i used to do tackle shop repairs) and I've only ever had one accident. You could then get a suitably sized piece of shrink tube onto the tip.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
To remove tip rings just heat gently a tiny bit at a time (all around the barrel) with a cigarette lighter. The carbon will melt if you overdo it so be careful and have a pair of pliers at hand to pull the ring off after each 2-4 seconds of heat. I use
Araldite to glue it back on again. I've perhaps made it sound more difficult and more worrying than it is. I've removed several hundreds (i used to do tackle shop repairs) and I've only ever had one accident. You could then get a suitably sized piece of shrink tube onto the tip.

😱 I will use tape and maybe try spray painting one. Saying that I suppose I could try a few methods. The daiwa tips are only £18 each

richox12

Other than a small amount to identify test curve of tip why would you want masses of paint added at the top ? A couple of cm or so is ample for daylight use. To be honest if all of my tips were black it would be fine. I never look at the colour but the guides.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Other than a small amount to identify test curve of tip why would you want masses of paint added at the top ? A couple of cm or so is ample for daylight use. To be honest if all of my tips were black it would be fine. I never look at the colour but the guides.
I don't want masses of colour. I just want few cm. Nothing to do with tc I'd for me as they are written on. I want to be able to see the colour on the tip against the dark colour of the water

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
If conditions are right I will swingtip instead of using a quiver tip.
I had a swing tip as a youth. After I fished Lloyd's for the 1st time I told my dad about it. We went over for a look and got talking to a guy using a swing tip.

As we spoke to him he was catching carp non stop so my dad took me and got us both a rod and we went the week after 😁

Expanda

Here are my Tyson/Ignition tips. I find the yellow quite good in dull conditions.
20220424_102928.jpg

richox12

I don't want masses of colour. I just want few cm. Nothing to do with tc I'd for me as they are written on. I want to be able to see the colour on the tip against the dark colour of the water
I agree. I hate tips with 6"or whatever of fluorescent paint on them. Unnecessary.

Browner

Site Supporter
If conditions are right I will swingtip instead of using a quiver tip.
I can’t get on with casting using a swing tip. In the 80’s I used one all the time for bream and tench. I can’t remember ever having a problem casting back then but tried it a while back and got in a right mess.

Festa2020

I’ve noticed that Drennan have slowly reduced the amount of colour on their tips. The started painting 3 rings worth of tip, then it went to 2 rings worth and the most recent seem to be only 1 rings worth. Maybe a cost cutting exercise or maybe just practically.
I visited Drennan workshop / factory and was quoted "anglers see the tip better with less fluorescent colour". Didn't stop me swapping my new Vertex tips to their original 2 rings which fortunately they had back stock left!!!

Browner

Site Supporter
I visited Drennan workshop / factory and was quoted "anglers see the tip better with less fluorescent colour". Didn't stop me swapping my new Vertex tips to their original 2 rings which fortunately they had back stock left!!!
Interesting. I’ve also noticed they have started to show the top weight in grams as well as ounces. Probably for the European market.

Truly

Site Supporter
I measured the colour on my new Acolyte Ultra tips, it's 2 inches. On my Darent Valley Avon/Quiver it's 2.25 inches. I then got one of my old Daiwa Jaguars (1980/90s) out and measured the three tips...... only 1 inch of colour, which was quite a surprise.
Perhaps my current concern with being able to see the Acolyte tips has more to do with ageing eyes and the need for new specs, which I collected yesterday.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I haven't even looked at my acolyte tips. Not been out the bag since I got it. I think its surplus to requirements.