Feeder tips - why all so heavy / only two tips provided

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Does it say something about me that I have no idea what weight of tips are in my leger rods?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Both of my feeder rods, Ron Thompson & Matt Hayes, have multiple tips - 3 on the Thompson and 4 on the Matt Hayes. Got them secondhand but even when new they weren’t expensive rods I believe.

For super light tips though I wish I still had my original Sigma Wand because that was phenomenal

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Does it say something about me that I have no idea what weight of tips are in my leger rods?
Not really Neil.

You could only know if they are marked - my Thompson ones aren’t but are coloured differently, found the softest and hardest just by feel before using them and started with the softest.

Whereas the Matt Hayes ones are labelled .5oz to 3oz so much easier to choose

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey you’re worse than me even after having rods for years I still have to read which tips are which as I still often forget which colour is which. Can feel the difference with some tips but not so much on others.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Everybody is different but here‘s my two penneth. My Garbolino feeder rods (picker rods) came with 0.5, 0.75 and 1.0 oz tips. I only ever use the 0.5 oz. I’m generally fishing at close range but it is mainly for decent sized carp on commercials with a method feeder. I like a really soft rod with the lightest tip I can get. I even bought some 0.25 oz tips (Shimano) which fit and I can still play double figure carp on them. OK the tip bends right over when you are playing them but the backbone in the rod is much lower down in the butt half not in the top nine or ten inches.

Obviously the 0.5 and 0.25 tips are glass and not carbon but I’m not really a fan of carbon tips under an ounce anyway. Glass ones are pretty indestructible.

Some people prefer not to see little taps and nudges and to be honest you don’t need to. A take is pretty obvious with a method feeder but I like to see everything that’s going on. At least I know there are fish in my swim which is nice to know when you are failing to catch any lol.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Everybody is different but here‘s my two penneth. My Garbolino feeder rods (picker rods) came with 0.5, 0.75 and 1.0 oz tips. I only ever use the 0.5 oz. I’m generally fishing at close range but it is mainly for decent sized carp on commercials with a method feeder. I like a really soft rod with the lightest tip I can get. I even bought some 0.25 oz tips (Shimano) which fit and I can still play double figure carp on them. OK the tip bends right over when you are playing them but the backbone in the rod is much lower down in the butt half not in the top nine or ten inches.

Obviously the 0.5 and 0.25 tips are glass and not carbon but I’m not really a fan of carbon tips under an ounce anyway. Glass ones are pretty indestructible.

Some people prefer not to see little taps and nudges and to be honest you don’t need to. A take is pretty obvious with a method feeder but I like to see everything that’s going on. At least I know there are fish in my swim which is nice to know when you are failing to catch any lol.
I'm with you there. I'm all for seeing just about every nudge and tap I can see, even if they're just the tiniest of knocks. From my point of view it only benefits me knowing theres fish in the area. I generally run 0.5oz for silvers, with occasional bonus fish then 1oz for most of my commie fishing. On occasion I'll fish a commie known for having bigger lumps and I feel as though I'm pushing it so I'll up that to 1.5oz.

In all honesty, I'm not the greatest rod fisherman in general and the topic of feeder tips has always confused me, so my way of thinking on this subject maybe drastically wrong. I just use what I'm comfortable with, And I get fish this way so why fix something that isn't broken? All I know is I'm more successful with these tips than I am with heavier tips.. It's less appealing to watch heavier tips also which is a massive thing for me.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I was after some spare tips, for my 11ft frenzee precision feeder rod, then, bobco were selling off the 12ft with 3 tips which I was after for £50, I bought the rod, kept the tips, then sold the rod on without any tips, it was cheaper than buying the tips separately,, it’s madness the cost of tips, I’ve bought quite a few cadence tips at £10, they fit some of my other rods perfectly,, I do like quite a selection,, because I mainly feeder fish, or waggler, when the conditions are right

Philnun87

I was after some spare tips, for my 11ft frenzee precision feeder rod, then, bobco were selling off the 12ft with 3 tips which I was after for £50, I bought the rod, kept the tips, then sold the rod on without any tips, it was cheaper than buying the tips separately,, it’s madness the cost of tips, I’ve bought quite a few cadence tips at £10, they fit some of my other rods perfectly,, I do like quite a selection,, because I mainly feeder fish, or waggler, when the conditions are right
I’m just amazed that you managed to sell a rod without any tips! 😂