Feeder Tip Question

CarpCatcher86

While fishing the feeder today I had a bit of a pondering. I have no idea why I have never thought to ask this before when feeder fishing.
Currently I have the Shimano Beastmaster Commercial Power Feeder rod, 12ft with a m.c.w of 90g, complete with 1 2 and 3oz tips.
My question is this, will the 1 and 2 oz tips be capable handling the rods m.c.w of 90g or will that require the 3oz tip?
In other words, is it a case of the 1oz tip will handle up to 30g, the 2oz tip will handle up to 60g and the 3oz tip will handle up to 90g?
Have I got this completely wrong?
Also is there anywhere that explains the correlation between casting weight and fish handling ability?
For all rods I mean, not just feeder rods.

John Step

Site Supporter
If the rod is rated to cast 90 gm then all tips will be OK. Its the backbone of the rod that has the power to cast and the tip just follows the curve so to speak.
I would think tis rod has plenty of beef. It usually follows that a rod with a large casting weight requires heavier line to avoid breakoffs and therefore it will have ample power for lumps.
Fish handling ability goes hand in hand with a balanced outfit and less about casting weight verses handling.
Others on here will probably be able to word it better?

CarpCatcher86

So all three tips will be able to handle the rods m.c.w of 90g, the only difference as far as the tips are concerned is bite sensitivity?

grey

Site Supporter
Yep, pretty much so!

Although you will find the 3oz tip easier to cast with than the 1oz tip with 90g weight (but that is fairly minor point when selecting the most appropriate tip)

You can couple up a ½oz tip with a 150g feeder rod if you really think you need to.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
So all three tips will be able to handle the rods m.c.w of 90g, the only difference as far as the tips are concerned is bite sensitivity?
You got it, more or less. I wouldn't go throwing 90g to the horizon with a 1oz tip though, you might get the line wrapped round the top runner of the tip due to the sensitivity and take off the top runner, it's happened to me on 2 occasions. It does of course depend on the action of the rod too.