Feeder Rods

rincon60

Hi everyone

New to the site so first things first, hello!

After many years of mostly flyfishing and dropshot/light lure fishing I want to get back into fishing the waters around me which are the Norfolk Boards

I'm after a new feeder rod, having read a lot and done loads of research I'm struggling to come up with a good solution. Seems many feeder rods are now aimed at method/commercial fishing.

I really like the look of the Drennan Acolyte Distance Feeder 13ft but its out of my price range.

Because of the flow on the River Yare I need to be able to chuck out 80-100g feeders, not at great distance, no more than 30yards on the open broads, but looking for rods in the £100 range.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

SeanB

Site Supporter
Can't really help much with the rod but welcome to the site 🙂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Welcome onboard lovely neck of the woods for fishing that.

Cant help with rods of that casting weight though I’m afraid, that’s more than you need on most rivers so probably is quite a niche market 🤔

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Not really Niche market ,loads of choice any heavy Feeder rod will be fine , most manufacturers produce them , take a look at the Cadence range , 12ft #2 or #3 or 13ft Versions , Daiwa , Senses , Preston all do them plus the second hand market is awash with Heavy Feeder Rods , even look at the Korum range .

John Step

Site Supporter
Have you looked at the lighter end of barbel rods range? . Just because it says barbel on the label doesn't mean those Norfolk bream would object?

rincon60

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Ive noticed the secondhand market seems totally over priced at the moment, think because some tackle shops are struggling for stock.

The suggestion of the Barbel rods is a great one, in fact, thats what I used to use, a part of Avon rods were perfect and you are right, the bream are just as happy as barbel to put a bend in the rod - although our Norfolk Bream dont fight like a barbel haha

Thanks for all the other suggestions, I will be taking a look. I'm told the Diawa n'zon s are meant to be pretty good.

Cheers everyone!

Sparkybob

welcome to the forums

I personally use a maver diamond feeder 9ft and love it. You might still find one some where or have you looked at the maver mvr feeder rods they also have great reviews.

rincon60

Thanks Sparkybob but as Irishhybirds said, 9ft won’t quite cut it. Ideally looking for 12-13ft Most of the match guys these days are fishing 13ft

thanks though.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
11ft Daiwa Aqualite feeder. Plenty of punch to chuck a 100g feeder 30 yards easy.

Its a 2 piece with 100g casting weight, is a little brutish so you'll need soft hands for small silvers but its a very capable rod.

Chances are you'll need to buy from a Polish or German site though.

They go up to 14ft too if you really need the extra length.

Last edited:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
This is reduced to £110

Last edited:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Browning CX range has a few rods that would do the job at a £50 ish range or any of the old Daiwa 11/13 rods or the Abu Suveraan tip rods can be picked up cheaply if you dont want to splash out.