Feeder Rod Recommendations

dehayco

First off i am new to the site, so hello!

For background, i have fished for a number of years. However, the last few years due to work etc, I have not really done a great deal of fishing. I have recently moved to Shrewsbury and the sight of the River Severn on my doorstep has got me wanting to get out again. Now while i have done quite a bit of still water fishing, i have never ventured on the river before, I have also never really had a go at feeder fishing, but would like to give it a shot.

I am looking for any recommendations for rods that would be able to withstand the River Severn in normal conditions, but also could be used on still water. My main species i would like to try and catch is Chub/Bream/Roach on the river and Tench/Roach in still-water . My understanding is in normal conditions, a 2-3oz feeder would be sufficient.

My budget is around £50-£80, I have been looking at the 12ft Shakespeare Agility Continental Feeder Rod that seems to have good reviews and could also be used on still water if needed. However, I have seen mixed debates about how quiver tips are pretty much useless on the river, is this the case? The other rod i have seen is the Diaiwa Black Widow Twin Tip 12ft Rod in the 1.75lb version, but i think this may not be great for still-water or smaller fish.

Apologies if i have said anything stupid, as i explained at the start, it has been a number of years since i have done any fishing and never tried river fishing or using a feeder before. Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I think an 11ft Daiwa Aqualite feeder would be ideal.

Used mine yesterday on a stillwater and was flawless with 1lb-6lb Carp, nice enough action, not as brutal as i first thought, and 100g casting weight so it's made more for rivers really.

Ignore the picture, the 11ft is actually a 2 piece rod.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Depending on exactly where you are fishing around Shrewsbury it varies a lot so if you are fishing the match stretches in the town on the County ground or the Quarry the Agility would be fine as most of your fishing will be for Roach or Chub and Dace with around 30g feeders, there are a few Barbel but the same tackle will apply. Float fishing is the preferred method either pole or running line on these stretches normally.
Sidney Avenue is mostly fished for Barbel and the Agility would cope with this but if its mainly Barbel you wish to target the Twin Tip might be a better option.
There are not many Bream in that area as they tend to live further downstream on the old LMS water Atcham or lower again.

dehayco

Depending on exactly where you are fishing around Shrewsbury it varies a lot so if you are fishing the match stretches in the town on the County ground or the Quarry the Agility would be fine as most of your fishing will be for Roach or Chub and Dace with around 30g feeders, there are a few Barbel but the same tackle will apply. Float fishing is the preferred method either pole or running line on these stretches normally.
Sidney Avenue is mostly fished for Barbel and the Agility would cope with this but if its mainly Barbel you wish to target the Twin Tip might be a better option.
There are not many Bream in that area as they tend to live further downstream on the old LMS water Atcham or lower again.
Ken,
Many thanks for the local knowledge, this has helped a lot. I did think the float would be nice on the County Ground stretch. Wasn't too keen on Sidney as it always looks pretty busy, but was looking at fishing the Monkmoor stretch, any info on that stretch ?

Thanks all so far for your help.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The town waters are best fished with the float, if you walk the bank any weekend you will see 90% on rod and line or pole.
Monkmoor is much more feeder territory and has more Barbel from the ford at the top of the stretch where you enter through the Gypsy Stones then what used to be the best pegs at the Island all in the top half of the stretch. Just above the Island there is a big pool where Bream do get caught on the feeder.
The pegs past the Island used to hold a few Chub but they catch on pegs right the way down to the car park at the end.
There is a good shop Total Angling near the cattle market which should give you more information.

dehayco

The town waters are best fished with the float, if you walk the bank any weekend you will see 90% on rod and line or pole.
Monkmoor is much more feeder territory and has more Barbel from the ford at the top of the stretch where you enter through the Gypsy Stones then what used to be the best pegs at the Island all in the top half of the stretch. Just above the Island there is a big pool where Bream do get caught on the feeder.
The pegs past the Island used to hold a few Chub but they catch on pegs right the way down to the car park at the end.
There is a good shop Total Angling near the cattle market which should give you more information.
Great, thanks Ken for all of your help