Feeder rod for powerful fish

Joe C

Site Supporter
I’m looking for new feeder rod, happy to go up to £100 region, With the intention of fishing the wye for chub and barbel, and still waters for carp and tench (the carp can and regularly do go 20lb plus.) I would like to fish with something as soft as possible so it is still good sport with the tench and chub, but can handle the carp and barbel.
Am I clutching at straws? Do I need to get 2 separate rods? Any help or recommendations gratefully recieved!

rufcuk

Little bit more than you budget but I would look at the browning black viper range

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I fish the Wye my go to rods are either a shimano stradic or shimano technium heavy feeder rod, never had a problem with these certainly capable of handling the chub and barbel and got enough grunt to throw a heavy feeder to the far bank. They are however a little on the stiff side which suits a river as powerful as the Wye can be. I also have a Greys 1.25 TC twin top (not sure which model) that I have tried a couple of times and has worked quite well. However for feeder fishing on still waters I think they are all probably a bit on the heavey side and tend to use a lighter through actioned rod with a bit of grunt lower down the blank as a big chuck is not normally needed so tend to use something like a Tri-cast 4 x 4, tri-cast short method rod, Preston competion medium feeder, Map matchtek 10ft light feeder etc depending on what I put in my bag when I pack

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
have a look in the "For Sale" section... there's a Big River barbel rod in there for near your budget...

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Callum Dicks uses these on the Wye.
Maver YouTube video: Match Fishing Tips & Techniques: Volume 4, Chub & Barbel
One went recently on eBay secondhand for £65 but will be a bit over your budget new................

Baldie

I’m looking for new feeder rod, happy to go up to £100 region, With the intention of fishing the wye for chub and barbel, and still waters for carp and tench (the carp can and regularly do go 20lb plus.) I would like to fish with something as soft as possible so it is still good sport with the tench and chub, but can handle the carp and barbel.
Am I clutching at straws? Do I need to get 2 separate rods? Any help or recommendations gratefully recieved!
Daiwa powermesh 2.25 tc twin tip all the way, also available in 1.5 and 1.75tc