Feeder rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Anybody got their preferred feeder rig for this time of year.
Been out today on the tip, Drennan block end feeder, 1.1 bottom, 2lb main.
I tend to make a large loop tied overhand,cut loop in half, tie feeder to one line, hooklength to other. Understandably this rig is prone to tangles, gentle retrieve helps prevent it though.
Reason I use this rig 9 times out of 10 is because it's a doddle to tie.
Lazy or what.
Had loads of bites (lightning quick), connected with a few roach. So does work.

You can't beat dipping your waggler!

martin.

Account Locked
depends on wether its still water,slow or fast river
also depends on what your targetting
i you can give us more info then we can offer better suggestions

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Sorry Martin, getting giddy!!
The water I was fishing was a reservoir(about 2 acres)fishing to a depth of approx 10'
I wasn't particularly targetting specific fish, but do know it holds a good head of roach, perch and a fair few good size bream. Have caught bream before on this res using the above tactics.
Open ended groundbait feeder tactics work well during the warmer months.
Hope this info makes my question easier to answer. Would you recommend a paternoster rig (long tail,short tail), in line rig etc.
Cheers.
Terrier.[8D]

You can't beat dipping your waggler!

ray

personally, at this time of year i prefer to use a "black cap feeder" for roach and perch fished free running on the main line, if you still wish to target bream then a g/bait feeder again fished free running (but add more brown crumb than g/bait)

again personally all my feeder fishing involves using a running rig as i think that ya dont get many tangles witch i find i do when using any sort of paternoster rig and bites are more positive when free running imo.

if every angler picked up one piece of rubbish every outing, the banks would be spotless???
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

snakey

PAA COACH
Terrier,
I use the same set up as you but I don`t cut the loop in half,I cut it half way up one side. this leaves a long tail to which I attach the hooklength loop to loop, and a short tial to which I attatch the feeder via a snap swivel. Give it a try i`m sure you`ll reduce the tangles.

NOT TAKEN UP GOLF YET

martin.

Account Locked
hi
i tend to favor the loop method with about 6-8" hooklenght for
roach & 12-18"for bream & perchwith a small g/bait feeder
in case you dont know what i mean
first thread a small bead , link swivel another small bead
up the linethen tie a loop about 14" long , with the beads & swivel on one side of the loop making sure there near the knot end then put 2 more knots in the loop one about 4" from end & one about 1"from end this last one is for loop to loop for hooklenght then all you need to do is clip your feeder on & this can then be changed for a bomb or dif feeder
also if your still using maggot try a piece of worm instead

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

scrubba

Just to add to previous comments. Today I had a pleasure session(in this weather!) on a local stillwater. In the past I used to fish with a fixed paternoster, but did suffer from tangles. Today a placed the feeder (or bomb) on a freeline, below this tied a large loop in the mainline roughly 6-8 inchs long into I which tied several smaller loops. (a similar rig is used river fishing with a blockend feeder) This creates a boom away from the feeder which will prevent tangles, as the hooklength will hang away from the feeder or bomb. This is helpfull especially if you use low diameter hooklengths, which are prone to kinking. Hope this helps. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.