Feeder rigs

Joe C

Site Supporter
Had a good days fishing today on a club lake, some good roach and a couple of carp.

I started by fishing a free running cage feeder with a twizzled boom but was still getting the odd tangle, re set up with some rig tube below the feeder which seemed to do the trick in regards to stopping tangles.

What do you guys like to do? I’ve tried the method but unsure if it’s purely for carp?

Total

Site Supporter
What you've effectively done is extended the length of the twizzled section longer than the drop of your cage feeder when using the 'rig tube below the feeder' and found you've suffered less tangles....(y)......Extending the length of your twizzled boom will have the same effect....;)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I only ever use a twizzled boom and have never had tangles, as above, make sure it's long enough to clear the feeder.

Joe C

Site Supporter
What you've effectively done is extended the length of the twizzled section longer than the drop of your cage feeder when using the 'rig tube below the feeder' and found you've suffered less tangles....(y)......Extending the length of your twizzled boom will have the same effect....;)

Will give it a go next time, thanks!

Total

Site Supporter
I only ever use a twizzled boom and have never had tangles, as above, make sure it's long enough to clear the feeder.

A knew you was a secret feeder angler as well! ;):giggle:....Hope you're well.....(y)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
A knew you was a secret feeder angler as well! ;):giggle:....Hope you're well.....(y)
I caught some skimmers in a match on it........in 1981

I'm well, I think I have got furlough jealousy, all these people I see reporting on fishing matches most days of the week, whilst I'm slaving away.....

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most of the time I just have the feeder on a running boom above a bead and swivel then have the hook length anyway between a 10-20 inch. Seems to work pretty well for bites and hook ups and it doesn’t tangle much. It’s basically just a scaled down version of what I use at sea as feeding fishing is basically the same principle so I just go with the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it approach :)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Most of the time I just have the feeder on a running boom above a bead and swivel then have the hook length anyway between a 10-20 inch. Seems to work pretty well for bites and hook ups and it doesn’t tangle much. It’s basically just a scaled down version of what I use at sea as feeding fishing is basically the same principle so I just go with the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it approach :)
I do wander with invention of inline feeders what are the benefits of booms and other methods . With inline feeders you get very few tangles. Just a curiosity not degrading any other method.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
They restrict you from changing between methods.
Yesterday on the helicopter rig I changed from small fin method,cage,blockend and small lead.

robert d

Site Supporter
Yesterday on the helicopter rig I changed from small fin method,cage,blockend and small lead.
I was thinking after I posted I could see benefits on long casts with some style of feeders . Some of the inline feeders you can change to bombs or larger,smaller feeders as they have a cut out for line .

Arch

Site Supporter

Interesting. What do you do with the Helicopter rig components when you attach your method ??

I'm assuming you use two stops either side of a link swivel above a twisted loop. Do you just leave them there ?? I've been considering the same on our local bream water. Be interested to know. (y)

robert d

Site Supporter
Interesting. What do you do with the Helicopter rig components when you attach your method ??

I'm assuming you use two stops either side of a link swivel above a twisted loop. Do you just leave them there ?? I've been considering the same on our local bream water. Be interested to know. (y)
The other method I've seen and I'm interested in is the hook in a loop method . Basically a loop is formed and a hook length fitted to the loop ,I haven't seen it lately . I only fish small lakes and they all have free running only but it's great getting to know other methods for when I start river fishing or large naturals.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Had a good days fishing today on a club lake, some good roach and a couple of carp.

I started by fishing a free running cage feeder with a twizzled boom but was still getting the odd tangle, re set up with some rig tube below the feeder which seemed to do the trick in regards to stopping tangles.

What do you guys like to do? I’ve tried the method but unsure if it’s purely for carp?

I have used The Method successfully on a shallow lake in France for skimmers/bream.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The other method I've seen and I'm interested in is the hook in a loop method . Basically a loop is formed and a hook length fitted to the loop ,I haven't seen it lately . I only fish small lakes and they all have free running only but it's great getting to know other methods for when I start river fishing or large naturals.

Hook in the loop is not a method of attaching the hooklength but of tying the hook in a loop of line instead of using a knot on the hook. It is believed that doing this allows the hook and thus bait to move more freely and thus naturally.

robert d

Site Supporter
Hook in the loop is not a method of attaching the hooklength but of tying the hook in a loop of line instead of using a knot on the hook. It is believed that doing this allows the hook and thus bait to move more freely and thus naturally.
My memory is getting worse ,cheers Neil . I remember it was supposed to be a great method but I haven't heard of it being used lately.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
@Arch

1.. Mainline two barrel float stops (could use one but I like mine to hold)
2.. Small buffer bead
3.. Quick change link if I am using hooklinks that have a long tail rubber on them (been using heli rigs for my Severn feeder fishing and has been working well)
or
Small boom made from a long tail rubber - I open up the link to make it easier to change hook lengths and just thread on some unshrunken shrink tube. (twizzle rig sometimes)
4.. Small buffer bead.
5.. Two barrel stops
6.. Barrel buffer bead to cover link or shrink tube
7.. Quick change link
8.. Lead,feeder etc

Yesterday I used all those in the photo attached and the fin methods are modified inlines (cheap Ebay ones that had to be glued together but great for casting close to obstructions)

Attachments

• 20200609_081413.jpg
    20200609_081413.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 18

Zerkalo

I’m thinking of trying the helicopter rig again after I used it for Tench but on my local weir pool for Chub. Always looking for potential modifications.

Otherwise when I feeder fish it is usually just a running rig with a twizzled boom. Going to give the method a go on a Bream water later in the year though.

Arch

Site Supporter
I've not fished the helicopter rig yet. I tend to use a paternoster.

I Just thought it was a stop, then a link swivel (For the hooklength), then another stop slid onto the mainline. Below that, a twiselled loop which you attach your chosen open end feeder to.

If you want to fish the method, take off the open ender and attach the method to the bottom of the twiselled loop. It's what you do with the stops and link swivel that I'm thinking of. Just leave them where they are ??