Feeder reel (here we go again)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
After purchasing a couple of decent feeder rods capable of a good chuck, I'm again on the lookout for a reel capable of around 80-100mtr chuck (not that I'd hit it, but just in case). Narrowed it down to a few, mainly Preston Magnitude/Centris 520 or Browning Black Viper MK FD 850. Been scouring the net, difficult to find much info on some of the reels, such as retrieve rate, spare spools, capacity, and these three seem the best (to my eyes and pocket) of the bunch. Nearly hit the pay now button on the Browning, but thought I'd just double check on the oracle as to which of the 3 is best.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
For 80/100 mtr chucks,the 520 centris is to small,, you need to step up to the preston 620 extremity or shimano 5500xtd

TrickyD

Site Supporter
For 80/100 mtr chucks,the 520 centris is to small,, you need to step up to the preston 620 extremity or shimano 5500xtd
What about the Browning ? I never use the clutch, so not sure if the Shimano would be of any use (unless it still has backwind facility). Didn't you have a Spro/Cresta reel, and was it any good?

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
The shimano xtd,has a backwind,, they’re a loverly reel,, quite large, but they’re fine for me, cause I’ve got big hands,, the centris are the dogs danglies,, awesome winding power,, the best by far,, but not big enough for really long chucks, but I use them on nearly all my feeder rods,, even the 100gram 4mtr,, preston distance master, I’ve got 3 of the cresta’s, 4000/5000 and 6000,, the ryer really nice reels, I use the smaller ones on my 9/10ft commercial feeder rods, the 6000 reel, is really nice, but it hasn’t got a backwind facility,, which is annoying for someone my age, who’s fished for nearly 50yrs, and used to reaching down n flicking the button,, I can’t comment on the browning, cause I havnt used them.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Extremity is my weapon of choice.
Big spool, good line lay and awesome winding power.
Feels bullet-proof but I've only had it 12 months - and for obvious reasons not used it anywhere nearly enough.

Simon

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I use a korum now, lovely reel

Tony
Korum do some nice tackle, problem is, they don't sell the things for long. The feeder reels I think are obsolete, I had a rod that i couldn't get a section for, even though they were still selling them. I have plumped for Shimano Ultegra 5500 XTD.