Feeder quick change adapters/ swivels

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If you don’t like the Preston beads then the Korum and Drennan ones are pear shaped and work probably a little better

OldTaff

Site Supporter

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I too see no need for the line to be fixed within the feeder in any fashion. Thus I just use a Drennan Method Connector on a 6-8 inch loop that runs through the feeder. The Drennan is a double ended stonfo-like bead that allows quick change of feeder and/or hooklength. If there is any danger of the bead core being pulled into the hole through the feeder I use a small bead between connector and feeder.

bubfesch

I think the Preston Ics method feeder range is meant to fish it as a free runing system because with the ics beads it's not possible to make a fixed rig except you'll use the elasticated stems ?

alsur

Site Supporter
I think the Preston Ics method feeder range is meant to fish it as a free runing system because with the ics beads it's not possible to make a fixed rig except you'll use the elasticated stems ?
You can get stems to allow you to use ICS feeders fixed not sure why you would want to use with method, I bought some to convert cage and maggots feeders to normal feeders.

2FEE29AC-67C4-4712-A68F-DE68857C7798.jpeg

bubfesch

Thanks man, until now I fished them with the elasticated stems, but the original stems which you get when you buy the feeder are made for free runing or am I wrong ?
4 hours ago I bought those :)

Attachments

• 20220726_204722.jpg
    20220726_204722.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 28

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Confusing isn't it! They will work with both ICS and ICM but you need to check which version if the Preston system you are using. ICS beads will fit in an ICM but not the other way around.

ICM QC Beads.jpg

bubfesch

The ICM beads are not availabe in my region, but I think I'll try to fish the ICS method feeder free runing, until now I only fished the elasticated stems. When I'm fine with the free runing rig I'll stay with it :)
But yes it's very confusing, it would be brilliant if the would offer beads for free runing and fixed rigs branded under the ICS label, would make things easier :ROFLMAO:

alsur

Site Supporter
Thanks man, until now I fished them with the elasticated stems, but the original stems which you get when you buy the feeder are made for free runing or am I wrong ?
4 hours ago I bought those :)
The stems that come with feeders are free running and you need a bead the one you have bought will be OK, you can buy elasticated stems and the stems with swivel I posted. For my method fishing I always use the feeders as they come, personally I use the Guru beads but some people don't like them I have used the beads you have bought and the ones MunchMyStump posted which used to come with feeders they are both OK.

bubfesch

Never tried the Guru ones, I got a Drennan method feeder but for the moment I only fished the Preston one :)

alsur

Site Supporter
Never tried the Guru ones, I got a Drennan method feeder but for the moment I only fished the Preston one :)
I like the Preston feeders and the only reason I use Guru beads is I don't find them so fiddly as Preston beads but I don't think it makes much difference apart from that, some people have problems with hook lengths coming off Guru beads which I haven't experience.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've started using a size 11 Snap Link Swivel pushed into the feeder to give me a 100% bolt rig effect when using a back lead.

Chitterlings & Hodge

I have used the Preston ICS range for quite a while as I like the range of size to weight choice, however I have found that for me the best quick change bead to fit is the Matrix quick change bead. Its been most consistent to give a slight resistance when fitted in the stem.

Product

(y)

Chervil

Site Supporter
I too see no need for the line to be fixed within the feeder in any fashion. Thus I just use a Drennan Method Connector on a 6-8 inch loop that runs through the feeder. The Drennan is a double ended stonfo-like bead that allows quick change of feeder and/or hooklength. If there is any danger of the bead core being pulled into the hole through the feeder I use a small bead between connector and feeder.

Is there a 'knack' to actually sliding the sleeve on them? I've got some in the garage and I can't get the sleeve to slide on any of them (just tried again).
I like the Guru Speed Beads, the only only quick change beads I don't have to use my teeth on to pull apart.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
You can get stems to allow you to use ICS feeders fixed not sure why you would want to use with method, I bought some to convert cage and maggots feeders to normal feeders.

2FEE29AC-67C4-4712-A68F-DE68857C7798.jpeg
There are not for using a fixed ICS feeder - you thread the line through the eye of the swivel, and stop it at the required length with a stop of some kind, allowing you to easily adjust to whater length of drop you wish. I personally would prefer to use that method for bream and other silvers. However it does mean you cannot quickly change the size of feeder.

alsur

Site Supporter
There are not for using a fixed ICS feeder - you thread the line through the eye of the swivel, and stop it at the required length with a stop of some kind, allowing you to easily adjust to whater length of drop you wish. I personally would prefer to use that method for bream and other silvers. However it does mean you cannot quickly change the size of feeder.
Yes I realise that but you can use them fixed or for helicopter rigs etc they basically turn them in to a traditional open ended feeder, I bought them so I didn't have to carry traditional feeders. I'm happy to use both for bream depending on bait and venue. Personally I wouldn't use them with a method feeder but you can if I was going to use a fixed method it would be an elasticated one, most of venues I fish insist on free running rigs so that's what I use and I don't have any problems hooking fish.

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Is there a 'knack' to actually sliding the sleeve on them? I've got some in the garage and I can't get the sleeve to slide on any of them (just tried again).
I like the Guru Speed Beads, the only only quick change beads I don't have to use my teeth on to pull apart.
When new they can be tight but will become easier with use. The way I do it is by holding the bead lengthways between thumb & forefinger. I put my thumbnail on the end of the bead and the forefinger nail on the collar and squeeze. That is enough to make the collar move.