Feeder links - home made

rudd

Site Supporter
During the last few days in rock hard conditions I have used my MAP GB light quiver rod combined with a Drennan 12g maggot feeder filled with pinkies, two red maggots to a size 18 Mustad barbless feeder hook and 3.6lb drennan double strength hooklink at around 4ft long (hooklenght 2 lengths of a preston hook length box with inline drennan feeder stop set up main line so mainline makes a boom).
Also used a bank made feeder link 4 inches long out of tubing a swivel and a snap swivel and I feel links are key to seeing bites
My reasoning is I want the very delicate quiver tip to move before fish feels the feeder. The nearer the feeder to main line, the quicker they feel resistance.
The running set up actually acts like a paternoster but is safe (as per club rules and sensible angling).

My on bank make up worked with Roach to 1.5lb and Perch to 2.6lb, going again tomorrow and just hoping for a bite, seeing the bites is the hard bit but the 1/4 ounce tip is very sensative.

So now I have found links to be key:
Found some crimp link, double crimps, crimp tool and beads used for making sea rigs and just knocked these up:

1609261320622678485245.jpg

Rick123

Site Supporter
You clever old sausage I'd like a few of those? Is that a simple bead on one end Rudd?

Silver fan 82

During the last few days in rock hard conditions I have used my MAP GB light quiver rod combined with a Drennan 12g maggot feeder filled with pinkies, two red maggots to a size 18 Mustad barbless feeder hook and 3.6lb drennan double strength hooklink at around 4ft long (hooklenght 2 lengths of a preston hook length box with inline drennan feeder stop set up main line so mainline makes a boom).
Also used a bank made feeder link 4 inches long out of tubing a swivel and a snap swivel and I feel links are key to seeing bites
My reasoning is I want the very delicate quiver tip to move before fish feels the feeder. The nearer the feeder to main line, the quicker they feel resistance.
The running set up actually acts like a paternoster but is safe (as per club rules and sensible angling).

My on bank make up worked with Roach to 1.5lb and Perch to 2.6lb, going again tomorrow and just hoping for a bite, seeing the bites is the hard bit but the 1/4 ounce tip is very sensative.

Found some crimp link, double crimps, crimp tool and beads used for making sea rigs and just knocked these up:

Nice! 👍

rudd

Site Supporter
You clever old sausage I'd like a few of those? Is that a simple bead on one end Rudd?
Yes - did check mainline slides easily before tying them!
Used smallest I could get away with - have allsorts of beads used for sea fishing rigs!

Alantherose

Site Supporter

Looks really good mate. How taught do you get the mainline once the feeder is in the water?

rudd

Site Supporter
Looks really good mate. How taught do you get the mainline once the feeder is in the water?
This winter, almost a slack line (weather permitting), lot of fish hooked when I see line moving rather than the 1/4 oz tip.

rudd

Site Supporter
This winter, almost a slack line (weather permitting), lot of fish hooked when I see line moving rather than the 1/4 oz tip.
Looking forward to using them and seeing a tip move more than quarter of an inch tbh, all.winter would say I had maybe twenty proper bites (tip going round).