Feeder Line.

Sad Teacher

Hi All,

Looking to replace my line for feeder fishing was thinking Stroft GTM (may be not robust enough?) Preston reflo or just chuck on my bulk spool of sensor the kind man in tackle shop sold me.
Casting 30gm feeders 20 metres on a light feeder rod after 3lb bream and 6oz roach with odd tench on a small lake

Cheers
G

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo has mentioned the Stroft and the Reflo i think, but aren't they high-tech / hooklength lines?

For my feeder fishing i started on Maxima, good reliable line, then i got tackle tarty and now i use Tournament ST or Guru Pulse Pro :D

Sensor is a bit of a Marmite line, some love it and some hate it, in equal measure :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Go good old maxima for me. I use 6lb but fish rivers where you have to deal with flow and weed etc but should think 4-5lb would be sufficient for what you are describing. That said there’s no harm in going with the extra security of 6lb as for feeder fishing it doesn’t matter as much as for float fishing as it’s pinned to the bottom and you don’t have to control it so provided you don’t go so thick to effect the casting you should be fine.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Maxima for upto 30m then Sensor after that. Very similar lines but, Sensor doesn’t stretch as much as Maxima. Braid for long chucks.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo has mentioned the Stroft and the Reflo i think, but aren't they high-tech / hooklength lines?

For my feeder fishing i started on Maxima, good reliable line, then i got tackle tarty and now i use Tournament ST or Guru Pulse Pro :D

Sensor is a bit of a Marmite line, some love it and some hate it, in equal measure :)
Yeah Stroft is my hooklength/pole rig line. I just use plain old Maxima on my reels.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Can't knock Sensor... dunno why folks do TBH, its a line... put it on yer spools and cast it... whats not to like....?

Chavey1

Colmic feeder pro is very good, I use it in 0.188mm it’d be ideal for the fishing you describe

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Used Maxima for years, never felt the need to change. Been around a long time for a reason. Used to use 2lb bs on slow flowing rivers.

No way would I use a high tech, pre stretched line on the reel.

But 30g seems overkill for casting 20 yards. Interested to know why the feeder needs to be that heavy. 15g would be plenty.

Sad Teacher

Well I'm quite new to ledger fishing and have largely taught myself.... My local tackle shop only had 30g maggot feeders in stock so I have used that but have ordered some lighter large capacity feeders for the bream in the lake who respond well to large volumes of maggots with red ground bait so I have been using a mix of that in feeder.

Cheers

Graham

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Hi All,

Looking to replace my line for feeder fishing was thinking Stroft GTM (may be not robust enough?) Preston reflo or just chuck on my bulk spool of sensor the kind man in tackle shop sold me.
Casting 30gm feeders 20 metres on a light feeder rod after 3lb bream and 6oz roach with odd tench on a small lake

Cheers
G
out of those three options - I'd choose the Sensor - perfectly adequate line.
What breaking strain is the bulk spool and is the the "standard" version?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Used Maxima for years, never felt the need to change. Been around a long time for a reason. Used to use 2lb bs on slow flowing rivers.

No way would I use a high tech, pre stretched line on the reel.

But 30g seems overkill for casting 20 yards. Interested to know why the feeder needs to be that heavy. 15g would be plenty.
I’ve fished a heavier feeder than I would normally on Southfield reservoir some days to counteract the under tow. That’s the only reason why I’d do it. 15g @ 20m is more than enough.

Sad Teacher

its 4lb and on bulk spool standard had it about 3 years but had some strange break offs so not fully confident in the spool.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
its 4lb and on bulk spool standard had it about 3 years but had some strange break offs so not fully confident in the spool.
If you have stored your 4lb bulk spool of Maxima out of sunlight and at a reasonable ambient temperature then your line should still be A1. Before re - spooling try soaking your bulk spool in a bucket of warm water. Not too hot. Just luke warm. This will make it a little more subtle when being reeled on to your spool. Once you have filled your spool just below the lip liberally coat your new line with a tad of washing up liquid. This will help it sink and will stop the line creating tiny bubbles on itself under the water. Hope this helps. 👍