Feeder in a Loop

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
This can be a winner if the weather is cold and the fish shy biting, ideal if you need to make every bite count ...

20211125_205848.jpg

- Tie a double overhand loop knot in a spare bit of line and trim the ends close to the knot.

- Thread this loop up your mainline and then attach a small maggot feeder or bomb

- Tie the end of your mainline to the loop you made earlier using a half blood knot

You should now have your feeder in a sliding loop.

- Set the size of the loop to what you want, 10cm is ideal.

- Nip the end together and tie a double overhand loop knot in it to attach your hooklength to.
Make sure the feeder is on the side of the main loop that goes to your reel, not to the loop you tied earlier, if that makes sense.

- Attach a 15cm hooklength to finish.

20211125_205945.jpg

What you have is the feeder trapped in a loop which restricts its movement when you get a bite, basically anything more than 10cm and the fish should hook itself against the resistance of the feeder.
Should the line break for any reason the feeder will slide off as it would on normal sliding set up.

Try it and see 😉

Total

Site Supporter
This can be a winner if the weather is cold and the fish shy biting, ideal if you need to make every bite count ...

20211125_205848.jpg

- Tie a double overhand loop knot in a spare bit of line and trim the ends close to the knot.

- Thread this loop up your mainline and then attach a small maggot feeder or bomb

- Tie the end of your mainline to the loop you made earlier using a half blood knot

You should now have your feeder in a sliding loop.

- Set the size of the loop to what you want, 10cm is ideal.

- Nip the end together and tie a double overhand loop knot in it to attach your hooklength to.
Make sure the feeder is on the side of the main loop that goes to your reel, not to the loop you tied earlier, if that makes sense.

- Attach a 15cm hooklength to finish.

20211125_205945.jpg

What you have is the feeder trapped in a loop which restricts its movement when you get a bite, basically anything more than 10cm and the fish should hook itself against the resistance of the feeder.
Should the line break for any reason the feeder will slide off as it would on normal sliding set up.

Try it and see 😉
Variation of the "Dink Dink" rig?:unsure:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't know that one. This rig is one from years ago when we used to fish in the depths of winter looking for solitary silvers and when every fish counted.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If the feeder is on the link to the tied loop then it could potentially be, hence, "Make sure the feeder is on the side of the main loop that goes to your reel, not to the loop you tied earlier, if that makes sense."

Total

Site Supporter
If the feeder is on the link to the tied loop then it could potentially be, hence, "Make sure the feeder is on the side of the main loop that goes to your reel, not to the loop you tied earlier, if that makes sense."
^^ It does make sense and I have not seen that in that guise before and have learned something today....(y)

Reuben

Site Supporter
The Loop method was my rig of choice on the Trent in the 90s. In all in all the years I used it I never had the mainline break above the feeder loop.

TiggerXFM

I very rarely leger, usually always float fish, if I do leger it's usually a very simple running rig. I do enjoy float legering thoug, best of both worlds 😉 🙂.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Done this way it's not possible to be a 'death rig' as the main line would pull through the feeder should the feeder become trapped and the line breaks.
Still banned on the waters round here @Dave. Feeders/bombs must be free running with nothing on the mainline above the feeder/bomb.

grey

Site Supporter
Technically, there isn't anything attached to the mainline line above the feeder. Just a loop... which is no more attached to the mainline than the top eye of your rod is.

rudd

Site Supporter
Still banned on the waters round here @Dave. Feeders/bombs must be free running with nothing on the mainline above the feeder/bomb.
I think you may have mentioned that once or twice 😅
Its possible I now know more of your clubs rules than my own! 😂
How far away from 'Round here' do you need to travel without the fear of breaking a rule when fishing? 😉

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Not my rules mate. There are 3 or 4 fisheries round this area, and none of them would allow that rig to be used.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Was the rig of choice when fishing for drop-backs on the Tees (pre-barrage), lower Swale or Ouse - although the loop would normally be longer - typically 12-18"

Simon

rudd

Site Supporter
Not my rules mate. There are 3 or 4 fisheries round this area, and none of them would allow that rig to be used.
Yeah I know - just jesting.
Just back from a club water - well about 20 mins ago.
Had to check on the well being of a Gentleman who had sat in car four over seven hours!
Of course, got there and car had departed, did catch a couple of lads just finishing smoking a joint.
They were polite and even picked up a few bits of rubbish before leaving. 😉

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Yeah I know - just jesting.
Just back from a club water - well about 20 mins ago.
Had to check on the well being of a Gentleman who had sat in car four over seven hours!
Of course, got there and car had departed, did catch a couple of lads just finishing smoking a joint.
They were polite and even picked up a few bits of rubbish before leaving. 😉
Try even asking them to do that round here and you might be in for a very cold swim. Not been back long myself from the club waters, been doing some pest control. The only other person seen (besides Sly) was a bloke taking his dog for walk.