Feeder Gear

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It’s completely the opposite , short lines from 15 to 30m and mainly Roach small Hybrids odd Skimmers in certain areas , check out Cathal Hughes on Fecebook.
its mostly a small fish race , catch well on the Whip too.
Many thanks for this mate, it is going to be a steep learning curve.

2lbRoach2hand

Totally agree with @Irishhybrids The majority of the time it will be a smaller fish race on the feeder (or whip). 10 or 11ft rods for your short line and a 12ft rod for your longer line. Get in touch with Cathal Hughes on FB, he is more than approachable and knows the place really well. Unfortunately I'm in the North so it's the opposite end of the country for me and a bit of a camel hike to get to! Although I have a 13 footer for long chucks, 99.9 times its the other rods that do the damage. No point chucking out to 60m plus to bring back similar sized fish that you can catch a lot closer in! I use an 11ft Maver Elite and the 12ft 80g Browning Sphere - both superb rods. Reel wise it's a 4000 size Daiwa Exceler on the Maver and a Matrix Aquos 5000 on the sphere. Both loaded with Matrix submerge braid. Forget about mono or even feeder mono - you need braid!. Inniscarra is a reservoir so it is not like other Irish Lough systems. Natural Irish Loughs usually have an old river bed which is the deepest part that you want to get to and unless you are on a wide open part, for eg pegged far back into a bay, you won't need to chuck that far. This new "Chuck to the Horizon" thing is really only popular in England where you do have some places that require a big chuck. If you want to compete over here, I'd also suggest investing in a decent long whip which you can fish up to 10m. I still use a Browning Black Magic II which is still an amazing piece of kit! And forget your finesse flick tips - fit the smallest bush with a tiny stonfo bung (if you can find one) into the first section and run a length of 10lb power gum through it to a mini plastic connector. If you can't find the bung, a preston pulla bead does the same job. Good luck with your move and I hope you really enjoy!

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Totally agree with @Irishhybrids The majority of the time it will be a smaller fish race on the feeder (or whip). 10 or 11ft rods for your short line and a 12ft rod for your longer line. Get in touch with Cathal Hughes on FB, he is more than approachable and knows the place really well. Unfortunately I'm in the North so it's the opposite end of the country for me and a bit of a camel hike to get to! Although I have a 13 footer for long chucks, 99.9 times its the other rods that do the damage. No point chucking out to 60m plus to bring back similar sized fish that you can catch a lot closer in! I use an 11ft Maver Elite and the 12ft 80g Browning Sphere - both superb rods. Reel wise it's a 4000 size Daiwa Exceler on the Maver and a Matrix Aquos 5000 on the sphere. Both loaded with Matrix submerge braid. Forget about mono or even feeder mono - you need braid!. Inniscarra is a reservoir so it is not like other Irish Lough systems. Natural Irish Loughs usually have an old river bed which is the deepest part that you want to get to and unless you are on a wide open part, for eg pegged far back into a bay, you won't need to chuck that far. This new "Chuck to the Horizon" thing is really only popular in England where you do have some places that require a big chuck. If you want to compete over here, I'd also suggest investing in a decent long whip which you can fish up to 10m. I still use a Browning Black Magic II which is still an amazing piece of kit! And forget your finesse flick tips - fit the smallest bush with a tiny stonfo bung (if you can find one) into the first section and run a length of 10lb power gum through it to a mini plastic connector. If you can't find the bung, a preston pulla bead does the same job. Good luck with your move and I hope you really enjoy!
Thanks very much for such a detailed response, you've probably saved me a couple of hundred quid (Sorry euros). I will go and have some practice sessions once my gear arrives (Hopefully 10th november).👍

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
One last thing Dave, forget about fishmeal GB or pellets in any way shape or form. Up your hooks and hooklength diameters and don't think that worms work all the time!
Am I going back to maggot and caster mate?

Pigmeal

Went19 years on trot to innisscarra ,bream fishing a thing of the past now due to small roach .it's 1achuck for them ,just not for me

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
What would say you've achieved with long chucks (distance wise) on the above rod and setup Mick? Thank you...(y)
Getting between 70 - 80m with a 60g window feeder but stood up on the bank not on my box. Fairly new to long long chucks mate so need to practice my technique to maybe get a few more meters.

2lbRoach2hand

Yes Dave, back to good old maggot and caster (and pinkie) and dendras and especially red worms! Worm doesn't always work though. Just seems like some days they want it and others they don't! Obviously with no carp in the place, fishmeal is a no no which is true to all Irish waters. My base mix nearly always consists of Black Lake, Gros Gardons and brown crumb. Because all the fish are wild and most have never seen a hook, don't be afraid to go up in size right up to a 10. I tend to use just 2 patterns of hook for all my fishing over here - Colmic B957 for pole work (great long shank which helps with speed unhooking) and for the feeder I tend to use the Tubertini Series 18's. Nice wide gape. Here's a tip - you can never be without floating maggots (I just merely cover them with their backs out in Orangina!) From speaking with Jacko (Cathal's other half), a Tubertini Series 18 in a size 15 (yes a 15) is the perfect size/guage to allow your floating maggots to drift slowly down. The hybrids love it! All my feeder hooklengths are tied on Guru Pure Fluorocarbon. 0.16mm being used the most.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Yes Dave, back to good old maggot and caster (and pinkie) and dendras and especially red worms! Worm doesn't always work though. Just seems like some days they want it and others they don't! Obviously with no carp in the place, fishmeal is a no no which is true to all Irish waters. My base mix nearly always consists of Black Lake, Gros Gardons and brown crumb. Because all the fish are wild and most have never seen a hook, don't be afraid to go up in size right up to a 10. I tend to use just 2 patterns of hook for all my fishing over here - Colmic B957 for pole work (great long shank which helps with speed unhooking) and for the feeder I tend to use the Tubertini Series 18's. Nice wide gape. Here's a tip - you can never be without floating maggots (I just merely cover them with their backs out in Orangina!) From speaking with Jacko (Cathal's other half), a Tubertini Series 18 in a size 15 (yes a 15) is the perfect size/guage to allow your floating maggots to drift slowly down. The hybrids love it! All my feeder hooklengths are tied on Guru Pure Fluorocarbon. 0.16mm being used the most.
I'm positively salivating mate. Do you fish the matches there or is it too far.

2lbRoach2hand

Have literally fished only 2 matches there. It's a good 6/7 hour drive each way for me. The majority of my matches are fished in the north. Places like the River Bann, Lough Erne, River Blackwater and Lough Muckno not to mention many other various lakes/loughs. As I was saying, I know Cathal Hughes fishes it loads so he is the main man to talk to about it.

2lbRoach2hand

Braid just shows up the bites much clearer and the water is usually deeper everywhere over here. If no bigger fish are expected, I only fish about 1m length of mono too.

Bullmoose Jackson

Why do you need braid mate?
Coming to this late, sorry, but braid works really well showing up bites, particularly in deep water (as 2lbRoach2hand has said). You can fish it with a shockleader of 8lb or 10lb mono, or just use 18 inches of powergum above the feeder if you don't like shockleader knots going through the tip.

Inniscarra isn't all distance - plenty of weights come at 30 yards. Whatever about worm on the hook, I'd always start with chopped worm in the feeder, plus corn (sparingly) and caster. Maggots, pinkies and casters for hookbait, and stay away from pellets or anything fishmeal related.

Long hooklengths will get you fish on the drop - it's amazing how many extra fish you can pick up before the bit hits the bottom.

Also, don't rule out waggler.

Whip fishing the way 2lbRoach has described is great fun, too.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Coming to this late, sorry, but braid works really well showing up bites, particularly in deep water (as 2lbRoach2hand has said). You can fish it with a shockleader of 8lb or 10lb mono, or just use 18 inches of powergum above the feeder if you don't like shockleader knots going through the tip.

Inniscarra isn't all distance - plenty of weights come at 30 yards. Whatever about worm on the hook, I'd always start with chopped worm in the feeder, plus corn (sparingly) and caster. Maggots, pinkies and casters for hookbait, and stay away from pellets or anything fishmeal related.

Long hooklengths will get you fish on the drop - it's amazing how many extra fish you can pick up before the bit hits the bottom.

Also, don't rule out waggler.

Whip fishing the way 2lbRoach has described is great fun, too.
Thanks mate, which part of Ireland are you from?

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
Dave if your interested in fishing the festivals on Inniscarra, Trevor Platt is the guy to contact, he promotes a lot of the festivals. He lives in Macroom has an online tackle shop. His contact details are www.trevstackleireland.ie tel: 087 6018660. He is an English guy from Manchester who now lives out there, he will give you all the help you need,

Last edited:

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Fro

From Dublin, but I do most of my fishing on the Barrow in Kildare and on the Shannon in east Clare.

Also on some of the canals closer to home.

Whereabouts are you moving to?
Rockchapel in cork mate, about an hour from cork city.