Feeder Gear

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
In 2021, as i will be living less than an hour from Inniscarra res, I intend to fish a lot of the matches that are held there. From my initial research it appears that long range feeder tactics will often be required. Any advice on suitable Rod/Reel combinations, capable of a long chuck but sensitive/soft enough for handling roach and skimmers as well as slabs. Any advice would be greatly received.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Don't think the boys that fish in Ireland hold much back on the tackle front, it's 10 hooks to 0.20 and the hybrids can still break you. I'm sure a strong 13ft/14ft rod will handle the type of chucks your looking at and there are dozens to choose from different brands at different prices. As for reels at least 4000 size.

I have never been unfortunately I am just passing on what I've heard.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Daiwa Cast'izm or MAP Parabolix black edition.

Cast'izm is soft and floppy, Parabolix SUV a bit beefier but not too stiff.

If they do the Parabolix SUV in 13 or 14ft I'd go for that. Then chuck an Ultegra on it. *edit* there's a 12'9 version but no bigger.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I fished in the Republic on a weeks fishing holiday, but that was years ago. I don't think the loughs have got that much smaller. I've just started using a Browning's Black Viper 3 feeder rod. My one is the 12 footer which will cast to around 60 meters and will handle the range of bites you want. I've had some great results with it. The BV range may be worth a look. While the bigger rods will cast a lot further, they still have pretty sensitive tips and as all the BV tips are interchangeable you can buy anything from 0.75oz up to 6oz to suit the venue. Rods are about £200

Other than that there are plenty of others around. Preston's Distance Master range has heavier tips My 4m one has 2, 3 and 4oz. Fine for Bream and casts to around 100m. Not tried it on smaller stuff, and the rod has a nice all through action. Slightly more expensive than the Browning rod

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Daiwa Cast'izm or MAP Parabolix black edition.

Cast'izm is soft and floppy, Parabolix SUV a bit beefier but not too stiff.

If they do the Parabolix SUV in 13 or 14ft I'd go for that. Then chuck an Ultegra on it. *edit* there's a 12'9 version but no bigger.
I bought the 12'6" Cast'izm after watchin the SR video on it. Soft through action - loved it! The shorter one would likely handle the odd skimmer and roach ok. My one can chuck a method feeder 80 metres but the most sensitive tip is 1.5oz. I double checked on Daiwa's website, and they do not seem to be promoting the Cast'izm range any more due to Nzon, I guess, but AD are selling them at a really good price. BobCo are offering a better deal, but they only have the 12'6 version left in stock currently

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its not all feeder fishing at Inniscarra the pole and whip can play a part but to be competitive in the matches you need a short range bomb rod for catching small Roach quick, a medium range 30 to 50m and a long range 50 to as far as you can go accurately.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Its not all feeder fishing at Inniscarra the pole and whip can play a part but to be competitive in the matches you need a short range bomb rod for catching small Roach quick, a medium range 30 to 50m and a long range 50 to as far as you can go accurately.
Thanks Ken, I am pretty much sorted with short and medium range gear, it is just the horizon stuff I'm short of. I have been looking at the Tricast Trilogy 14ft but I have never seen one used.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
For really long chucks 70m+ l've got a Nzon 13ft 100g teamed up with a 5000 Okuma, 12lb braid. For chucks to 50m l've got the Nzon 12ft 60g teamed up with a 4000 Daiwa, 8lb braid. Both work well on the ressies l fish. Very good rods just under the £100 mark.

Total

Site Supporter
For really long chucks 70m+ l've got a Nzon 13ft 100g teamed up with a 5000 Okuma, 12lb braid. For chucks to 50m l've got the Nzon 12ft 60g teamed up with a 4000 Daiwa, 8lb braid. Both work well on the ressies l fish. Very good rods just under the £100 mark.

What would say you've achieved with long chucks (distance wise) on the above rod and setup Mick? Thank you...(y)

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
It’s completely the opposite , short lines from 15 to 30m and mainly Roach small Hybrids odd Skimmers in certain areas , check out Cathal Hughes on Fecebook.
its mostly a small fish race , catch well on the Whip too.