Feeder front rod rest designs

Paul.P

Preston free flow rod rest 2.jpg
Used to use one of these & whilst there very good for silvers fishing, i found they were the worst for carping, mainly due to the fact of the material, being hard plastic it makes it very easy for the rod to jump out, i found the other preston one like tipitinmick uses were the best as the rubber actually grips the rod to a certain extent, & when used with the preston butt rest with the rubber teeth, i've not had the rod pulled out yet, as i did before.

Total

Site Supporter
Used to use one of these & whilst there very good for silvers fishing, i found they were the worst for carping, mainly due to the fact of the material, being hard plastic it makes it very easy for the rod to jump out, i found the other preston one like tipitinmick uses were the best as the rubber actually grips the rod to a certain extent, & when used with the preston butt rest with the rubber teeth, i've not had the rod pulled out yet, as i did before.
Hello Paul,

Whilst I wouldn't disagree with what you say above, all my tip fishing is done with a baitrunner type reel so alleviating the rod jumping out of the rest and accentuated by the hard plastic....This type/style of front rest is a proven design and works well for me.

Don’tTellEmYourName

Site Supporter
First of all let me say I am a big fan of the Guru Reaper rear rod rest design....it really grips the rod handle well. However, I am unsure about the long wide front rest with the rotating ears at both ends. I have seen several; Youtube vids of the rod jumping out of the allocated slot to the left or right following a strong bite.
I feel this design is suspect. I'm of the opinion the front rest should be still and solid. OK you could say that by moving the rod to another slot you can tighten the line or put a bend in the rod tip....but Ijust do this with the reel.
A friend of mine made me this front rest where the plastic/rubber tubing absorbs the movement but holds firm ..Also protecting the rod. The angle of the tubing is clever the rod can not jump out.... the design holds it fast There are a few similar commercially produced versions ..but none I have seen has got the angles quite right.

Interested in opinions
I rather like the idea of making one like your friend did, thanks for photo and idea. I’m off to the workshop.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like the Guru Reaper rest but that's a nice design too. 😁 I just make sure I have most of the rod in front of the rest whichever I use and the rod will cushion any savage bites.