Feeder front rod rest designs

BarryS

Gone fishing
First of all let me say I am a big fan of the Guru Reaper rear rod rest design....it really grips the rod handle well. However, I am unsure about the long wide front rest with the rotating ears at both ends. I have seen several; Youtube vids of the rod jumping out of the allocated slot to the left or right following a strong bite.
I feel this design is suspect. I'm of the opinion the front rest should be still and solid. OK you could say that by moving the rod to another slot you can tighten the line or put a bend in the rod tip....but Ijust do this with the reel.
A friend of mine made me this front rest where the plastic/rubber tubing absorbs the movement but holds firm ..Also protecting the rod. The angle of the tubing is clever the rod can not jump out.... the design holds it fast There are a few similar commercially produced versions ..but none I have seen has got the angles quite right.

Interested in opinions

Attachments

• rest 2 (1).jpg
    rest 2 (1).jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 14
  • rest 2 (2).JPG
    rest 2 (2).JPG
    142 KB · Views: 15

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I just use one of Prestons myself when fishing a commercial. Especially at a place called Bankend where the carp are head cases. They drag rods in for fun they do. 🤣

Attachments

• FA34985A-28CE-48CC-A6AA-F31A61142C06.png
    FA34985A-28CE-48CC-A6AA-F31A61142C06.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 4

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I use both the Reaper's rests front and butt as a goto together - they've not let me down so far. If they do I'll look for an alternative, but thanks for the heads up - useful

BarryS

Gone fishing
I just use one of Prestons myself when fishing a commercial. Especially at a place called Bankend where the carp are head cases. They drag rods in for fun they do. 🤣
I guess if the pale blue section is "elastic" it is doing a good job ...as long as it doesn't tighten onto the darker uprights. I do think these fixed position front rests are better than the long bars

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If it's windy, I use one of these...

1644510255751.png

Or one of these...

1644510621917.png

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I guess if the pale blue section is "elastic" it is doing a good job ...as long as it doesn't tighten onto the darker uprights. I do think these fixed position front rests are better than the long bars

The light blue bit is very soft rubber Barry. 👍

lea77

i modified the preston one by removing the tubing running a short piece off a metal coat hanger through the tubing to the middle and then put a v in to create a slot just enough for the line to go through then replaced the tubing sorry im unable to put a picture up but i hope you get the drift. never had any issues this way

stikflote

Site Supporter
I use like the guru one but without the ears, ,ive no trouble with rod jumping out

BarryS

Gone fishing
The rod can jump out of the chosen slot ........not leaving the rest completely..Im thinking that is why the rotating ears are there just in case of a violent take

chris1967

Site Supporter
i use the preston blue jobbie very similar to the guru one ,but im much prefer the style ukzero posted but having broke at least 5 of them in the roller bag with the rest of my gumph i'm sticking with the preston one now