Feeder Floats.

sapperrich

Hi all, anyone any experience of Premier Canal Feeder Floats. Thought Might be good idea this time of year on cut (or are they just a gimmick), what do you think? Cheers guy's.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Nope, they're not a gimmick. I have 4 in different sizes and they work very well, not just on canals. but on still waters too. Good for Tench and Bream fishing but work with any species really. I use mine with open end cage feeders and on the method. Just make sure your rod can take them. In fat I'll beusing one on mine and sly's next outing. One tip, the lock-slide waggler type work better. :upthumb:

Last edited:

sapperrich

Nope, they're not a gimmick. I have 4 in different sizes and they work very well, not just on canals. but on still waters too. Good for Tench and Bream fishing but work with any species really. I use mine with open end cage feeders and on the method. Just make sure your rod can take them.
Hi mate, I don't know a lot about them. Are they designed for fishing up in the water or on bottom,or doesn't it matter? Cheers.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
They're designed so that the feeder is on the bottom, the float acts as any normal float. When you make a cast, let the float settle, don't try to bring it back like a normal waggler and don't close the bale arm. let the float come back up (it'll sit high in the water) settle the rod on 2 rests and very slowly wind in till you have the tip of the float showing and you're done.
Choose the float(s) carefully as some are rated for different weights of feeder for different depths. If you're using the bomb, you have a target to aim for...the float. The Polaris float is very similar, but I find the Lock-slides with inserts work better.

sapperrich

They're designed so that the feeder is on the bottom, the float acts as any normal float. When you make a cast, let the float settle, don't try to bring it back like a normal waggler and don't close the bale arm. let the float come back up (it'll sit high in the water) settle the rod on 2 rests and very slowly wind in till you have the tip of the float showing and you're done.
Choose the float(s) carefully as some are rated for different weights of feeder for different depths. If you're using the bomb, you have a target to aim for...the float. The Polaris float is very similar, but I find the Lock-slides with inserts work better.
The feeder floats I'm asking about have a maggot feeder permanently fixed to the float. Made by Premier Floats.

ukzero1

Site Supporter

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The feeder floats I'm asking about have a maggot feeder permanently fixed to the float. Made by Premier Floats.

I know the type you mean mate but trust me, the Loc-slide type are far better and more sensitive. Shop around and you'll get them cheaper. Our local tackle shop has them in for £3 each.

sapperrich

I know the type you mean mate but trust me, the Loc-slide type are far better and more sensitive. Shop around and you'll get them cheaper.
Ye, I've got ya. Looked on line and ordered canal version, Does look a better setup than the example I mentioned. Cheers mate.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The problem with the maggot feeder on the bottom of the float is that as the maggots come out, the float rises and when it's empty it drifts. The Loc-slide type don't, it stays in the same place.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@sapperrich

Another good thing with the Loc-slide is you can use it for finding the depth, also, when winding in, if the float hits the top ring, you can keep winding with no damage to the line at all. Handy when fishing deep swims.

Last edited:

spittlebug

Hi, ones for fishing on bottom, other more for fishing up in the water, like pellet waggler (like any method Trout waters, or whatever).

Bob

Blanks

Site Supporter
We used to call that float ledgering albeit with a feeder and does work. This time of year I get out the Drennan ultralight bomb rod great when fishing for silvers down to half an ounce, lovely fine rod fished with a small feeder shows the bites perfectly.

sapperrich

@sapperrich

Another good thing with the Loc-slide is you can use it for finding the depth, also, when winding in, if the float hits the top ring, you can keep winding with no damage to the line at all. Handy when fishing deep swims.
Alright mate, just wanted a bit of advice. After recovering from op, was planning on using loc-slide float on local pond tomorrow. Would use inline feeders such as Preston ICS or standard feeders on quick change link (was thinking which is more sensitive)? Cheer's mate your advice always welcome.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Alright mate, just wanted a bit of advice. After recovering from op, was planning on using loc-slide float on local pond tomorrow. Would use inline feeders such as Preston ICS or standard feeders on quick change link (was thinking which is more sensitive)? Cheer's mate your advice always welcome.

I use inline for stillwaters and paternoster style for flowing water. I find this gives better results. :upthumb: