feeder fishing

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
hi everyone . ive been fishing rivers all my life but nearly always float fishing but the past year or so i have been trying feeder fishing . i cant weigh up a decent rig cause every video i watch , they use a different rig and also this feeding out a big loop of line after the cast . can anyone give me any hints\tips at all please . thanks in advance

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’d have a good look on YouTube for the ‘beginners guides’ or ‘How To.......’. At least they’ll give you an idea. I’d also strongly recommend the book ‘The Complete Book of Ledgering’ by Bob Roberts. A very informative & easy to follow piece of work.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A feeder on a boom above a bead and swivel with about a foot hooklength works absolutely fine for mixed bags for me. I’ve tried other more fancy things and keep coming back to it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just buy them, basically a black tube with a snap link on it. I suppose you’d probably just call it a lead clip really as it doesnt stand off like a proper boom. Basically just a more delicate version of a sea fishing version.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
twizzled boom, easier to watch a video than explain, basically twizzle the line and tie a figure 8 loop 4, 5 or 6 inches from the end, essentially kicks out your hooklength away from the feeder.

Should be videos of it on youtube.

*EDIT* this is good video

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Second Reuben's recommendation. Bob Robert's' book is the bible from a "match fishing approach" and is still relevant now nearly 30 years on.

It's also mostly available (rewritten for safe rigs) on his blog site

On most rivers that I fish, casting accuracy and frequency to the right spot in the river, with the right bait, is far more important than a fancy rig.
To fish the bow for drop backs (sometimes termed critically balanced) it is MUCH easier if you cast slightly upstream or at worst straight in front.

Zerkalo

I’m going to chuck out a maggot feeder this year on the Severn too mate just to see what I catch! That’s just while I get to grips with float fishing which I'll be asking you about!

Don't ask me what rig I'll be using though as it will be very basic as above (likely same as rd115 or Silverfisher). Only time I feel like experimenting with my rig is on the weir on the Stour I fish as the Chub always attack the feeder so I've given it a bit of thought.

Zerkalo

Got a load of hemp, some already cooked, and can’t wait to use it!

I managed one cast on a maggot feeder at Arley last year, had a little Perch, and then thought, I’m going back to pellet to catch some Barbel!
Going to put a keepnet in and stick it out some times this year though as imagine some good bags to be had.

Reuben

Site Supporter
On rivers I’d just use the Loop rig for maggot or groundbait feeder. Easy to tie & as tangle free as any feeder rig. It’s what I used all the time on the Trent & would again. I also use it on any Stillwater that allows it to this day. No beads or booms, just a link swivel to change feeders or leads if necessary - works for me.

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
I’m going to chuck out a maggot feeder this year on the Severn too mate just to see what I catch! That’s just while I get to grips with float fishing which I'll be asking you about!

Don't ask me what rig I'll be using though as it will be very basic as above (likely same as rd115 or Silverfisher). Only time I feel like experimenting with my rig is on the weir on the Stour I fish as the Chub always attack the feeder so I've given it a bit of thought.
i can help you out with floatfishing . any style of float on any river venue but with feeder fishing, that is alien to me

Zerkalo

I probably need help with both lol, but feeder fishing I find easier! :) (not to say it is a basic method)

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
On rivers I’d just use the Loop rig for maggot or groundbait feeder. Easy to tie & as tangle free as any feeder rig. It’s what I used all the time on the Trent & would again. I also use it on any Stillwater that allows it to this day. No beads or booms, just a link swivel to change feeders or leads if necessary - works for me.
what is the loop rig mate .