Feeder fishing without alarm / quiver

squimp

Site Supporter
Thank you very very much for that rudd. That is very kind of you. ?. I take it you clipped it on and off your line after casting ? By the way pall. I’ve just seen your Ringle twitch. Ooooo errrr missus. ???
The idea was you whipped a piece of say 50lb mono Onto the rod between the first two rings and then clipped the Ringle onto the mono - that way you don’t have to take it off to cast.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Do you remember the old 'Monkey climbers" at 'Kirby'?......Probably old knitting needles back then!:oops::giggle:

Seen some weird and wonderful contraptions as bite indicators. Often used washing up bottle tops until one day whilst ledgering a live
bait the top shot up and somehow twisted around the rod and knotted itself. Result a pike swimming around with a pair of trebles in its
gut :( Used rings made from foil after that, will not use a bite alarm out of principle, bloody racket.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I would use a swingtip if you have a rod that with a top eye that can take one. Or use a bobbin of some kind. I began with the humble washing up liquid top when I started carp fishing in the early 80s.

Edited after reading the post about the washing up bottle top wrapping around the rod and knotting. A freak occurance, but once is one time too many. But a bobbin that falls off the line will be fine, so a monkey climber type of bobbin will be fine.

Last edited:

BoldBear

Swingtip if you have a threaded tip ring and don’t need to cast too far and it’s not too windy or the flow is not too strong.

Else Touch legering if you are getting fairly regular bites and not sitting for hours without a bite.

Else some kind of butt indicator (can be used with or without an alarm).

Or just bite the bullet and just use a float.

Keith

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Do you remember the old 'Monkey climbers" at 'Kirby'?......Probably old knitting needles back then!:oops::giggle:
Was never that sophisticated.

In the seventies I was pike fishing the shallows at Cray lakes using a washing up bottle top as an indicator. Fast take and somehow
the bottle top managed to wrap itself around the rod with one of those tangle knots and you think how the hell did it get like that.
I couldn`t walk backwards and had no chance to try and wrap the line around anything anyway the upshot was a pike that had no
doubt swallowed a treble whilst towing many yards of line around will die a slow death :( and I never used that method again.

I was thinking of marketing a 50 watt Marshall amplifier bite alarm to a fully decked out Christmas tree especially for the carp anglers
on here, make less song and dance when they get a bite;)

Total

Site Supporter
............I was thinking of marketing a 50 watt Marshall amplifier bite alarm to a fully decked out Christmas tree especially for the carp anglers
^^ :love: :ROFLMAO:......Ya knows how to make yourself popular! ;):ROFLMAO:

Silver fan 82

Was never that sophisticated.

In the seventies I was pike fishing the shallows at Cray lakes using a washing up bottle top as an indicator. Fast take and somehow
the bottle top managed to wrap itself around the rod with one of those tangle knots and you think how the hell did it get like that.
I couldn`t walk backwards and had no chance to try and wrap the line around anything anyway the upshot was a pike that had no
doubt swallowed a treble whilst towing many yards of line around will die a slow death :( and I never used that method again.

I was thinking of marketing a 50 watt Marshall amplifier bite alarm to a fully decked out Christmas tree especially for the carp anglers
If you do market an alarm like this let me know as my alarm isn't loud enough even when it's turned up to maximum volume and you can never have to many lights either.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
If you buy the de-lux version it phones home so your mum or dad can arrive and land the carp for you. Saves getting out of bed(y)

Silver fan 82

If you buy the de-lux version it phones home so your mum or dad can arrive and land the carp for you. Saves getting out of bed(y)
Fantastic, put me on the top of the list. Don't suppose there is any way you could build a wi fi device into it so I can order packs of lager to be delivered directly to my swim too is there?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
@Pompous git .....How are you getting on with your 'new' rod?:unsure:
Club lake tomorrow it may well get an outing.
Fantastic, put me on the top of the list. Don't suppose there is any way you could build a wi fi device into it so I can order packs of lager to be delivered directly to my swim too is there?
My drawing board is red hot...