Feeder fishing with luncheon meat

rob_v

Hi guys
I tried meat with a feeder yesterday but it kept coming off the hook
What's the easiest way, do I have to hair rig it
I like to keep it simple never used hair rigs before
Cheers rob

Paul.P

Yes Rob, you really need to hair rig it, you can buy the hooklengths with the little spike already on them nowadays, pretty sure guru do them if not preston as well, & then you'll just need a baiting needle to push the spike through.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Either do as Paul has suggested, or in the meantime you can put a small piece of grass stalk between the meat & the bend of the hook. You need a baiting needle really though for either method.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Depends on the type of feeder. With a Method, Hybrid, Banjo or Pellet feeder the bait is held in the feeder during the cast and so will not come off the hook. Same can be done with a cage or open ended feeder. Twitch the feeder a few inches after a couple of minutes to get the hook & bait out of pellet, cage and open ended feeders.

One thing to try is using polony as bait rather than luncheon meat. Polony is firmer and should withstand the cast if the bait is hanging free from the feeder.

Alternatively if you want to continue with luncheon meat then use a bait screw.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Baiting needle and grass (or a piece of spaghetti) is my method. When you cast do a gentle lob rather than a whiplash.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's the same for Bread Flake with me. I haven't sussed it which is why I tend to use tougher baits when legering, but watching locals on the local river they seem to have the knack of getting it to stay on the hook. Tried paste legering on the river once, no chance!

corkycat

Baiting needle and grass (or a piece of spaghetti) is my method. When you cast do a gentle lob rather than a whiplash.
Yep a piece of dried spaghetti for me, shorter than the width of the cube of meat, but long enough to sit snugly in the bend. If not using a baiting needle push the hook through cube of meat "bend first", followed by the shank, until said bend starts to appear at other end.

A blade of grass works too, and doesn't spook the fish at all, but I have this theory that chub and barbel like dried pasta. Might just be a confidence thing.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Yep a piece of dried spaghetti for me, shorter than the width of the cube of meat, but long enough to sit snugly in the bend. If not using a baiting needle push the hook through cube of meat "bend first", followed by the shank, until said bend starts to appear at other end.

A blade of grass works too, and doesn't spook the fish at all, but I have this theory that chub and barbel like dried pasta. Might just be a confidence thing.
I also push the bend through the meat but only with bigger hooks. I would often use a size 4 with a matchbox sized piece of meat on the Trent.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
It helps to cut the luncheon meat up the previous day and leave it for a few hours, or overnight, exposed in a fridge. This makes it a little harder.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Enterprise tackle have a product called a Meat Mate which is a plastic tube with an umbrella type stop to be used on a hair rig, fairly easy to make your own but the tube stops the hair or the stop pulling through the meat so you can cast it with confidence it will still be on the hook.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Cut it in to cubes the night before and lightly fry them just for a few seconds as it puts a tough skin on the meat then you can either hair rig them or push the hook through, once fully through turn the meat through 90 degrees then pull back with a short piece of grass etc between the hook bend and the meat. That usually does it for me also don't try too hard when casting as to much force can sometimes pull the meat off the hook/hair

bluemack

Site Supporter
I find Bacon grill is firmer and if you hook it in the same way as you would a maggot it should,nt come off.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Enterprise tackle have a product called a Meat Mate which is a plastic tube with an umbrella type stop to be used on a hair rig, fairly easy to make your own but the tube stops the hair or the stop pulling through the meat so you can cast it with confidence it will still be on the hook.

Something like this?

FILE0028.JPG

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Yes that is similar a bit larger and cruder but will still do the job as it spreads the pressure.